Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Windstop and PSM question

What exactly is a Windstop. I believe it is an optional piece. Is it highly recommended. I am looking to buy a new boxster this week, and I found one that I like, however it does not have a Windstop. I have heard lots of talk about Windstops on this board, so I wanted to check that out.

Also, I have to verify that PSM is one of the options. If it does not, is that a feature that you would consider to be a must have? Should I try to find another car that has a windstop and psm?

Thanks for all the input.

boxstertobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #2

Windstop is the clear plastic window between the roll bars, and black plastic mesh in the hoops. There is a retrofit kit.

I have a 1997 and PSM started in 2001. Someone with PSM can give you an opinion.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #3

PSM cannot be retrofit - I ordered it on my car and love it.

It isn't perfect, but it is unobtrusive on the track, very effective in the rain, less effective in slushy snow (what is?) and saves your bacon when you do something dumb (notice I said when NOT if).
If you WANT to spin your tires, you can always switch it off.

Do you need PSM? I think it depends on how you drive and what cars you have driven before.

If you now own a Viper or Camaro Z28 and have not slid off the road in a year of ownership you probably don't need PSM. If your current car is a Nissan Sentra and you habitually 'floor it' everytime you leave a traffic light , you probably need PSM. Most of us are somewhere in the middle in experience.

I purchased PSM because one time avoiding hitting the armco on a slick mountain road pays for itself, and I was ordering a car anyway. I like the system a lot. I wouldn't let my dauighter drive my car without it(she has the Sentra now.)

Would I pass up a good deal because it didn't have PSM? maybe. I think it goes back your experience handling HP and how often you spin tires.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #4

If the car quotes having the sport package, then it should include the windstop. And I love PSM myself, it is amazingly effective yet inobtrusive.