Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #1

Tool Kit?

Need to buy a good set of sockets. Need a small tool kit. Nearly pulled the trigger on the CostCO set that had all the metric and standard bits but DARN LINE WAS TOO LONG!!
anyone see anything good online lately?

I also need a power drill for FINALLY installing my pedals. Need a bit that will drill through metal for the brake pedal, others are plastic.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #2

Problem with tools online is that shipping is expensive due to weight. Should have waited in line at Costco, or go in the mid afternoon when nobody is there...

For the drilling, just use a very small bit to make a leader hole. I used a standard thin bit, made a tiny hole, then used the size drill bit I needed for the screw holes and it worked like a charm.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #3

yeah me thinks the CostCo set is a deal for a necessary to have but seldom used set of tools.

Did you use spring clamps to mark the drill holes in the pedals?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #4

Hi,

Here's a great set of Craftsman Tools, Sockets and Wrenches w/ case. 1/4",3/8", and 1/2". http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00935155000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Another great feature is that you can order them online and either have them shipped to you, or to your local Sears Store. Shipping to the Store waives any shipping costs - and they're Craftsman!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #5

I would agree that Craftsman tools are great. I use my socket sets a lot. If you are patient, you can get the Craftsman set tools on sale at very good deals. If you are using your tools once or twice a year, then any brand would be fine.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #6

Any recommendations for a torque wrench? Primarily for wheel lugs.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #7

This one says it has a spark plug socket
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942138000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #8

When it comes to tools for the car I believe that Snap-On makes the best quality tools. But they are rather on the pricey side and if you are not a mechanic most of the time they are not worth it. I will state that Craftsman makes some really decent tools for a much better price plus their lifetime warranty is really nice. Just take it in and get a new set one, no questions asked.

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude
I would agree that Craftsman tools are great. I use my socket sets a lot. If you are patient, you can get the Craftsman set tools on sale at very good deals. If you are using your tools once or twice a year, then any brand would be fine.
Hi,

Having wrenched on cars for nearly 40 years, I would have to disagree. The issue with cheap tools is mainly that they are stamped from some peculiar dies. Meaning they don't fit exactly right. This means they more easily round-off a fastener. They can also crack more easily. Cheap tools are just that - cheap.

My time is worth too much, and my time to wrench on cars too little to have the tools I use jam me up. Craftsman and Snap-On are probably the best tool values out there and of very similar quality. Craftsman Tools are a lot less expensive than Snap-On, so this has always been my 1st choice. Nothing against Snap-On except I'd rather spend the cost differential on parts.

If money's burning a hole in your pocket, then Facom are probably the best made tools in the World - standard in every Ferrari and Lamborghini Tool Kit - http://www.pro.facom.fr/CatalogueGeneral/Catalogue/PAG-CAT-03.aspx . But, if you're buying Facom Tools, you can probably afford to have someone else service your car...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-05-2007 at 03:43 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #10

Craftsman hand tools are OK, but their power tools are junk. For example, never buy a Craftsman electric drill. They are intended to drill holes in drywall about 3 times a year. Check out the DeWalt 5.4 amp drill, prob. at Lowes or Home Depot. That sucker works.
I got one of the Craftsman 150 ft/lb clicker torque wrenches specifically for wheels and have no complaints. If I were busting tires at Discount Tire and using it all day every day, it might be different, but it's fine for what I need.
The ratcheting combo wrenches are the bomb, as long as you are not working in close quarters where there is not enough clearance to get the box-end over the nut/bolt. Sears has both Craftsman and GearWrench brands.
The Kobalt stuff at Lowes looks pretty good, although I don't have any of them.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #11

I find that the Snap On stuff is an absolute pleasure to use, but unless you are a professional mechanic its just not worth paying for. I have always purchased Craftsman, and while it doesnt have the bling of Snap on or Mac it does have a lifetime warranty, and for us non professional mechanics, I can always run to Sears on a Sunday afternoon to replace a ratchet, finding the Snap On rep isnt always so easy unless you own a shop and he comes to you.

I vote for Craftsman, though I have heard good things about the Kobalt tools at Lowes. Supposedly they are made by the same folks who make Blue Point, which is Snap on (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong).

At the end of the day, I dont think you can go wrong with Craftsman.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #12

For what it's worth, the "Kobalt" line of tools that are sold at Lowe's are made by Snap-On...

Last edited by Trakehner; 04-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Trakehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #13

ok how about impact guns, the portable kind? Suggestions?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorman
Any recommendations for a torque wrench? Primarily for wheel lugs.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00944642000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Torque+Wrenches&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

Mine has served it's job and hasn't let me down.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
I concur. Craftsman are still the best hand tool bang for the buck. Ideal for the weekend warrior. I have been using them since I first started racing motorcycles in 1973.