Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 AM   #1

Arrow Boxster S Questions

Hi,

Just placed a deposit on a UK 2002 Boxster S. It's interesting as it's semi-facelift! It does have the electric release for the bonnet/boot and the smoked indicators, but no opening glovebox or glass rear screen.

Anyway, two questions for you:
(1) how many keys should it have? The owner has two black ones. Is there a special red key or anything?
(2) seems very stiff to move the gear lever over to reverse. It engages perfectly, but it just quite hard to get it to go left first. Is this normal? Anything to worry about?

Thanks,
Philip

philipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #2

Philip,

Congrats on the Boxster S!
My US Spec 01S has the electric release for the boot & Bonnet as well
My car engages reverse with no major issue, I think there should be some resistance
I think there is a valet key in addition to the 2 main keys, my car did not come with it either.

Did you get a pre purchase inspection on the car??

Cheers!
Marc

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

I didn't get an inspection. My father is a mechanic, so I'm pretty good at checking. I got my hands on Porsche's own 74 point checklist and checked it myself.

The car has been owned by the current owner from 9,000 miles to it's current 71,000 miles. It has a full main dealer service history, the correct pirelli tyres, all the correct stickers on the hood/service book etc. So it looks like it's straight and been looked after.

Aside from an airbag light bulb, minor oil weep from the front end of the engine and slightly stiff reverse, it looks really very nice indeed.
philipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm
Thanks for the info.

I didn't get an inspection. My father is a mechanic, so I'm pretty good at checking. I got my hands on Porsche's own 74 point checklist and checked it myself.

The car has been owned by the current owner from 9,000 miles to it's current 71,000 miles. It has a full main dealer service history, the correct pirelli tyres, all the correct stickers on the hood/service book etc. So it looks like it's straight and been looked after.

Aside from an airbag light bulb, minor oil weep from the front end of the engine and slightly stiff reverse, it looks really very nice indeed.
As Marc said, there is supposed to be 2 regular keys and a thin valet key. The reverse gear actuation is supposed to be stiff, so that you clearly can feel the difference between putting the car in reverse and 1st gear when starting off from a full stop, or downshifting at slow speeds.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to leify01
Just curious and if you do not mind sharing, how much did you pay for it?
leify01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leify01
Just curious and if you do not mind sharing, how much did you pay for it?
Comparing UK and US prices?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm
Thanks for the info.

First off, to your earlier post, the 2002 didn't come with a glove box or a glass rear window.

As to your concerns, you've raised several in this post. There seem to be plenty of Boxsters out there with far under 71,000 miles. I can think of at least one member who, while he really likes his Boxster, probably wishes he would have bought one with fewer miles. He calls it his "black hole for dead presidents".

Oil leaks on a Porsche are always cause for concern. With regards to the airbag light bulb - I'm assuming it's on all the time? This would be fairly common and probably due to the seatbelts (there's a great post on this somewhere here).

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #8

Here's the thread on airbag light fix. I did this after driving around for months with the light illuminated. It's been off for over a month now!

Airbag Indicator light will not turn off?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #9

The light isn't on at all. Hence I suspect it's a blown bulb. The porsche service centre confirmed they checked it 700 miles ago as part of the service and it was ok.

I'm not too worried about the oil. It's well soaked and not obviously dripping much. I got a good price in which I have budgeted for a clutch / RMS seal change if it comes the worst.

The service centre also confirmed that reverse is OK. It's meant to be really stiff on the 6 speed box to stop you putting it there by accident.

It should come with two main keys and an emergency wallet spare. New keys can be added by the dealer for around $400 equivalent.

If you want to see UK prices. Head over to www.pistonheads.com. Their classified section will give you a good idea. I paid around $32k equivalent.

My car has these options and is basalt black metallic:
C16 - UK
IXLF - Sports Exhaust System
IXRL - 18" Sport design Wheel
IXX1 - Floor Mats, Logo, Leather Border
M012 - "Sport Design" Package
M197 - Stronger Battery
M239 - prep for 18" wheels
M288 - Headlamp Washer
M375 - Sport seat, Backrest Shell, Left
M376 - Sport seat, Backrest Shell, Right
M424 - CD Compartment