Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

Used a clay bar for the first time today

I wanted to detail my Box for the oncoming Spring and Summer today. I went up to Denver and picked up some supplies at a detailer supply store. They had a great "how to" for using a clay bar. I also picked up some of their lube product to use with the bar. I must say I was very impressed once I finished. I ran my finger over the paint and it was very smooth to the touch. I could feel the clay hit very small objects that were not always visible with the eye while working it over the paint. It also managed to get rid of some stubborn road tar near the wheel wells. For anyone who has not done it because they don't know how to use it, don't be. It's not hard to do and you won't ruin your paint.

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
It's not hard to do and you won't ruin your paint.
+1. I just used a clay bar on my car last month and it WOW is the car's paint as smooth as every. Just make sure you have alot of lube(water,soapy water or supplied liquid) and you will be fine. I came back from a 300 mile road trip,See The World Tour II, and have driven it around town a bunch since and it's still the super smooth!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #3

yes, clay bar is awesome as it picks up all the impurities on the paint. it will make the paint surface very smooth. just be careful never to drop the clay bar on the ground. i always use clay bar on the car and then polish with zaino...the car shines like it is brand new.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #4

I can attest to that. Claying a car, although a pain, does result in a very beautiful finish.

-aren

Last edited by aren040; 04-02-2007 at 07:24 AM.
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

I agree w/ y'all! I did mine before winter and will do it again this Spring
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #6

Probably one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated steps of a thorough detail job. But like you said easy to do and well worth the minimal effort.

I had to break out the clay again this weekend. road crew has a large portion of our street stripped down to the top most layer of dirt, which is a very fine grit, mix with a little rain and it becomes like concrete, very difficult to get off the car. I washed the box three times and still had little specs that would only come out with the clay.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
DrRoentgen

This year was my first experience too, I found the Mother's kit to be too stingy with the clay. I bought a kit from an online place the product name is Sonus, you get three bars and a detail bar, it was way better. I think claying the paint makes an astounding difference in the finish, I'll be doing it regularly to all my vehicles.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #8

its a good practice to keep two grades of clay around. I use the over the counter stuff before each season, that's usually the harder clay that removes everything down to the paint.
Every few washes while the car is still wet, I use the soft clay and wash again to clear away the sediments that break loose.

Using the soft clay is a better idea than prematurely laying down another coat of wax, which just leads to swirls.

A good practice which I started this year, once the car is washed/soft clayed I use a waffle weave towel not only to dry but to quick detail(Duragloss Aqua Wax, Z8, FK1 425, etc.). I now only use microfiber towels (with the prickly ends) to remove paste waxes or denser liquid polishes that require more bite. When the surface is smooth hooked fibers are overkill and can cause you problems if the towel isn't CLEAN. Switch to a closed loop towel, like a waffle weave (I like poorboys, no thread snagging) or a deluxe concours buffing towel (pakshak monster) for last step shining.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #9

I got into using a claybar about four years ago. I have also used them on the windshield for objects I couldn't get off. I've used it lightly on exhaust tips as well prior to polishing.