Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #1

Question Mystery Button

So, I picked up a 1999 Boxster with under 28,000 original (CarFax confirmed) miles on it a few weeks ago. I love it!

Anyway, the first night I read the entire owner's manual to figure out how to work everything. That's all good, BUT I have a mystery button on the dash that I didn't see in the manual. It has no label and is very non-descript. It's a single round black button that is located on the left side of the dash next to the door. I, of course, pushed it, but didn't notice that it did anything. None of the wheels fell off and the passenger seat didn't eject, so I don't think it's a James Bond thing. Any ideas out there? Anxious to learn!

Coop

Iamcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

That button even pushed won't do anything coz' probably the previous owner didnt get that option..."Passenger Ejector Seat" j/k

I too have a 99' Boxster...DO you have any pix? oh BTW...Welcome to the forum!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
bmussatti

Did you twist or turn it? Could be a dash light brightness controller. If you push it, did it clear your trip mileage?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

does it look like this:

http://www.brackenrig.net/DSC00023.JPG

If yes then this was the button to operate the garage door opener from the previous owner.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Yes, it looks very similar, but mine has only one button. I'll try to set my garage door opener to work with it. Thanks for the info!

Coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
does it look like this:

http://www.brackenrig.net/DSC00023.JPG

If yes then this was the button to operate the garage door opener from the previous owner.
Iamcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcoop
Yes, it looks very similar, but mine has only one button. I'll try to set my garage door opener to work with it. Thanks for the info!

Coop
Hi,

Those buttons are Radio Shack SPST (Single Throw Single Terminal) switches - Catalog #: 275-644 .

How do I know? Because I used that exact same switch (with a button LED) to create my own Built-in Garage Door Opener, though I chose to use one of the console mounted Switch Blanks to locate mine.

At least in my case, and probably the one shown above, I bought a separate Garage Door opener, took the circuit board out of the case and mounted it inside the center console.

In order to make it work with your garage opener, you're gonna need to access the control unit circuit board (probably inside the Dash) and match the positions of it's rocker switches with those found inside your current Garage Door Opener remote to make it operative. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote