Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
New to Group, New Boxster

Just wanted to say hello.

I have watched this forum for about a year now learning about the world of Boxsters.

Just took delivery of a new 2004 Boxster last night at Tom Williams Porsche Audi at there new location in Birmingham, AL.

Gaurds Red, Graphite, Black top, 18" Carrera Wheels, 5-speed

Although this is not my first Porsche, it is my first new one.

Any advice in car care, initial maintenance, etc., would greatly be appreciated. Just looking for real world opinions.

Dave
(Bamaboxster)

bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #2

Welcome and congratulations!

Post some pictures when you get the chance.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #3

Welcome to the Group and congrats!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #4

Welcome!

Advice1: Don't soap your top- gently hose it clean. If you get a stubborn spot use a brush gently. Lint roller the top for concourse clean. I'm not a clean car kindof guy, but the top will repel water for years if you leave it alone.

Advice 2: My 02S used 2 quarts of oil in the first 2000 miles, now it uses a quart every 5-6,000. So if you see oil used, don't panic.

Congratulations on those 18" Carrera wheels - they are my favorite of ANY wheel available. Enjoy your new baby! Post a picture when you can.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #5

Porsche recammends that you do not go over 4,200 rpm for the first 2k miles. This is a rather long break-in period and hard to adhere by as well. I would be more concerned about keeping your continuous engine speed below 4,200 and avoiding full-on redline shifts for the first 2k. Congrats on the car btw. I love my carrrera wheels and I'm sure you do too! I have a S with the same color/wheel package and I think it looks stunning. Post some pics if you can.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the great welcome.

The dealer told me to stay below the 4200rpm mark and be easy on the brakes for the first 2000 miles.

I put 500 miles on it already Driving it from Birmingham to Atlanta this past weekend varying the speeds of course.

I take care of my canvas tops the same way, and they have lasted a long time. Having the glass rear window is nice.

I am suprised how good it is on gas. Pulling a real world 31mpg on the highway. I'm quite sure this will change when its broken in and I develop a lead foot.

I forgot what is like to have a Gaurds Red Porsche and the amount of attention that color attracts.

Currently installing XM Satellite Radio in this car. I'm working with the upper bin just below the radio. I am using the XM commander set up that has a low profile face plate that is black and trimmed in silver. It goes well with my graphite interior.

I had OEM XM in the G35, have the XM Roady on my 03 Goldwing (GL1800).

Traded out of my G35 6 speed manual sedan and I going through a tough time about it. That was an amazing car and an indescribable amount of fun. I love my beautiful Boxster, don't get me wrong, I miss the G really bad.

Hopefully rebuilding my Porsche comradery will get me through it. Its nice to be on a list with intelligent folks that really appreciate their cars. Its been 12 years in between Porsches, I'm glad to be back in one.

Dave Allen
Birmingham, AL
(bamaboxster)
Old 05-17-2004, 09:15 PM   #7

I will post pictures this week