Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to leify01
Those Humps

Wondering does anyone have the speedster Humps as shown here on e-bay and are they worth the price as asked (800.00)? Do they also cut out some of the wind.. would having the speedster humps and the wind screen be too redundant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Porsche-Boxster-Speedster-Humps-PAINTED-1997-2004_W0QQitemZ120101399062QQcategoryZ33652QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

leify01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
bmussatti

leify01, proceed with caution. Not all speedster humps are created equally.

Some people really like the humps...others hate 'em.

Do some searches here, these have been talked about several times.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #3

Hey Leif,

I have a set of the Speedster Humps. Mine were made by the same manufacturer you're asking about. They are excellent quality, and beautifully painted. Are they worth $800.00? I guess they are, if you want a set and you like the way they look. Honestly, I rarely use mine. The don't have any wind blocking/aerodynamic benefit as far as I can tell. They're just made to look cool.

Now...about that car of yours... I remember seeing it when it was for sale. You really need to post some good photos of it. It is the most unusual 986 I've ever seen and I'm sure the members here would love to see it in greater detail.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-28-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #4

Here's my car with the humps on. They really do change the personality of the car. Some people love the look and others hate it. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
blkboxster

Hey,the exterior of you car is extermely nice,but the inside in MY opnion is
Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
Hey,the exterior of you car is extermely nice,but the inside in MY opnion is
Nice...real nice.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
blkboxster

ok,the inside color wasnt my cup of tea
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #8

It's a shame, I normally really like speedster humps, but I think it's the way they fit on the Boxster that isn't quite right... the dark line that forms between the humps and the car is too obvious. I think they might look really good on black, but I'd like to see them in person.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIFI
It's a shame, I normally really like speedster humps, but I think it's the way they fit on the Boxster that isn't quite right... the dark line that forms between the humps and the car is too obvious. I think they might look really good on black, but I'd like to see them in person.
Your complaint is the one I hear most often...that the line between the humps and the car is too pronounced. For the record, I think you're right, especially on a light colored car.

On a black car, they probably look quite nice. Hey Randall! Any pics of your speedster humps yet?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
bmussatti

I like the humps, and they look better in person.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #11

I posted a lousy pic of my box with the humps on the other day.

Everyone asks me if I traded it on a new one when I drive around with the humps on and they see that combo with the new side skirts.

And the humps make me feel like boy racer from the cartoons I watched as a kid!

$800 is too steep though unless they are factory and painted to match your car. Buy them from www.gtmotorsport.net and get them painted and you'll still have a couple of hundred in your pocket.

Just be willing to wait forever and call them and remind them you bought something from them a month before and ask why the heck they haven't shipped it yet. Oh yeah, their web site says they are gel coated but they are NOT gel coated... which is good because your paint shop can do some sanding if required.

Da humps are da bomb!

Now as far as cutting wind, my wife says I fart more now that I have the humps on the car than ever before.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-27-2007 at 06:03 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #12

I agree, they do change the appearance of your car sometimes drastically depending on the color. Mine is midnight blue and I think the look gorgeous. I went to a Lexsus dealer tonight to look at a 996 turbo tonight and the salesman wouldn't stop about the speedster humps. I like to think I have 3 cars. The standard, with the humps and with the hardtop. All three are very different. In my opinion of course...Here are mine. They came from Vertex Auto (a sponsor of the board). My wife bought them for me as part of an xmas present. They are contracted to a company in Florida, can't remember their name though. I was really pleased with the fit. Customer service is tip top notch as always. I had em finished locally though. I believe in always doing business in my back yard if possible. Vertex charges $599.00 for them and I had them painted to match for $150.00.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor

Last edited by der Geist; 03-27-2007 at 07:57 PM.
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i dont like those humps
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #14

I have factory humps on my Ocean Jade '99 and I love the look. Gives the car a whole new personality, I think. Since I never put the top up I leave them on all the time. Also really helps decrease the wind coupled with the stock blockers.
aerocrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to leify01
thanks for all the replies.. yeah the interior of my car looks out there when i see the pictures.. it looks really bright and neon looking but in fact it's much darker.. and looks really good with the black.. It's something I had to see when it was for sale.. and when i looked at in person i think it looked great.. i will have to try to get better pictures and post them.. the only ones i have are the dealership pics.
leify01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #16

There is nothing wrong with a car that has some individuality to it.
There are soooo many black-on-black and grey-on-silver Boxsters out there that it is nice to see something else for a change.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leify01
Wondering does anyone have the speedster Humps as shown here on e-bay and are they worth the price as asked (800.00)? Do they also cut out some of the wind.. would having the speedster humps and the wind screen be too redundant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Porsche-Boxster-Speedster-Humps-PAINTED-1997-2004_W0QQitemZ120101399062QQcategoryZ33652QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
I've used this guy before. His company is very good and they stand behind their product. But if you want a better deal. Go to his web site and made him a lower offer. You can ask for $700.00 painted and I bet he will agree. That is a decent price and a good deal. He color match my spoiler and it looks great. He uses O.E.M. Porsche paint and the paint codes from your car.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #18

I have the factory humps. I've only put them on once so don't know how effectively they cut the wind, but I absolutely love the look.

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote