986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   what's with the super low mileage used boxsters? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10303-whats-super-low-mileage-used-boxsters.html)

kelly1005 03-27-2007 08:05 AM

what's with the super low mileage used boxsters?

I've seen some posts from people saying they bought their used boxster with really low miles (under 1000 in some cases, under 500 in a few as well). What's up with that?

These cars aren't super exotics where you lose thousands every time you turn the key, so does that mean there are many people that buy brand new $50k+ cars and then decide in a month or so that they don't like 'em? Or that many people that have them as weekend rides and end up not using them?

FrayAdjacent 03-27-2007 08:07 AM

some people see them as exotics... some buy them as weekend toys, but never really get out into them much... some are 'garage queens' that are babied...

More the better for us enthusiasts looking for nice lightly used Porsches!!

denverpete 03-27-2007 08:09 AM

Well, many of the vehicles aren't purchased as daily drivers (DD). Many are simply that "fun car I've always wanted" which only gets out on nice weekends. Add to that the fact that many locations don't have driveable weather year round and, well, you get some pretty low mileage cars. I bought my '99 with under 12,000 miles in 2005 so that's around 2000 miles per year. That's low to me.

larryshomework 03-27-2007 08:12 AM

Mine was relatively low mileage when I bought it (about 5k/year) but I plan to change that :rolleyes:

kelly1005 03-27-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
Add to that the fact that many locations don't have driveable weather year round and, well, you get some pretty low mileage cars.

Oh yea, I always forget that. I moved back home to CA in '99 and have totally blanked those years in Colorado out of my mind with that 'snow' stuff that kept covering the roads. :)

Rob-00BoxsterS 03-27-2007 11:09 AM

Hey Kelly, I got a chuckle out of your sig. Clever....

CJ_Boxster 03-27-2007 11:20 AM

I always thought it was so when people in the forum start a thread about your mileage, they could brag about how little mileage they have.

Ronzi 03-27-2007 11:26 AM

A few months ago somebody posted a "how many miles are on your Boxster" thread. As I recall, the average was about 5-6k per yr, which is about the same as Porsches generally (not incl. the Cayenne).
I think 5k a yr. is about what most lease deals allow on a Porsche, so I guess they got it right.

YellowJacket 03-27-2007 11:49 AM

You want entertainment, you have to watch the threads where someone posts that he's at 100k miles, and everyone responds with something like "OH WOW, I can't believe the Boxster is so reliable to go 100k miles! That's insane! These cars truly are bullet-proof! You're my hero"

...to which I always roll my eyes and think about to the 200k mile Civic I bought when I was 16.

My wife and I are of the opinion, with all of our "nice" posessions, that if we ruin them using them, then we'll have at least gotten to experience them. Whereas if we let them sit in a garage/closet/cabinet/whatever, and they break/get stolen/fall apart anyway, we'll be in the exact same position, sans good memories. Hence my Boxster's 16k/yr average during the time I've owned it. :)

BoxsterBob - CA 03-27-2007 01:58 PM

I would imaging cars bought with 500 - 1000 miles were bought from dealers and were likely demo, loaner or employee vehicles. If they had been titled, they have to be sold as "used".

'99 daily driver with 62,000 miles. My baby doesn't wear a crown. :D

blkboxster 03-27-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
Hey Kelly, I got a chuckle out of your sig. Clever....

I still dont get it???

porsche986spyder 03-27-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
I still dont get it???

You have to read the caption under his photo in order to "get it" :)

Rob-00BoxsterS 03-27-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
I still dont get it???

Unless I misunderstood the caption, I thought it was a reference to the original Star wars movie.

Quote: "These aren't the droids you are looking for"

Along with the photo with the cops, I found the play on words entertaining.

RandallNeighbour 03-27-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowJacket
You want entertainment, you have to watch the threads where someone posts that he's at 100k miles, and everyone responds with something like "OH WOW, I can't believe the Boxster is so reliable to go 100k miles! That's insane! These cars truly are bullet-proof!

LOL !!!!!

I'm at 99,850 miles. The car has had thousands invested in repairs of prematurely failing parts. Porsche calls these parts "high performance plastic". What a load of BS.

I absolutely love my old, high mileage boxster, but it's a $1500+ a year toy for me outside of fuel and insurance. Like most Pcars, they ain't cheap to keep out of warranty.

Brucelee 03-27-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
LOL !!!!!

I'm at 99,850 miles. The car has had thousands invested in repairs of prematurely failing parts. Porsche calls these parts "high performance plastic". What a load of BS.

I absolutely love my old, high mileage boxster, but it's a $1500+ a year toy for me outside of fuel and insurance. Like most Pcars, they ain't cheap to keep out of warranty.

Sadly, Randall's experience seems all too typical.

I used to routinely look at 80-100K Boxsters that were simply junk.

I think the car is a full time job for some!

wetstuff 03-28-2007 05:14 AM

Speaking with an exotics dealer in Miami - who had a stable of low mileage cars, and where everyone in the place spoke perfect Spanish: they got their cars from people from South/Cent. Am who keep homes in the Miami area. They don't come often or stay long ...and in a couple of years want to change makes/models/colors.

Then there's schlubs like me who see these cars more as 'boats' than cars. I've had the Donzi but you need a place to launch or moor .. you can only see so many river banks before they all look the same .. and my wife got as bored as sitting on the back of an R90S. The big difference; she can open the garage door on a nice day and take a Porsche anywhere she wants. I suspect, even with depreciation, it's cheaper than boats.

j i m

JAAY 03-28-2007 05:32 AM

I drive mine about 4000 miles a year. Not that I don't want to drive it more but it is our weekend car.

Rob-00BoxsterS 03-28-2007 06:25 AM

Looks like I'll average ~2,500 miles with mine BUT my DD is a E46 BMW with the sport package that I drive on the weekends when we need 4 doors or to any BMW events, my 911SC or the 986 S for Auto-X or any PCA events, my 300ZX turbo for the Z club events, and my wife's Disco that we take off roading to Land Rover events.

So, even thought none of them get driven that many miles, we are not letting any of them collect dust in the garage.

Just not enough weeks in the year. :)