986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Difference betw Porsche and BMW (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10297-difference-betw-porsche-bmw.html)

mach schnell 03-26-2007 11:44 PM

Difference betw Porsche and BMW

I finally nailed it - the reason why I just have a smile on my face when I drive my BMW, whereas I always (before the dreaded shimmy...) had an ear to ear GRIN when I drove the 987

Dumb f$%K a-hole punks drive bimmers like they're ricers and crotchrockets - it's just a different mentality, mindset and appreciation of the German sports car that exists in the Porsche realm. It's there in a small way in Bavaria, but not at all to the level that comes from Stuttgart.

Can't wait to return fully to the crowd - for now it's just by proxy through this forum. :cheers:

blinkwatt 03-27-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach schnell
Dumb f$%K a-hole punks drive bimmers like they're ricers and crotchrockets - it's just a different mentality, mindset and appreciation of the German sports car that exists in the Porsche realm.

I had some friends who in high school who had mid 90s M3 and each one of them were out to street race every weekend. One even turbocharged his M3 to some stupid amount of PSI and blew the motor shortly after...

larryshomework 03-27-2007 12:08 PM

I currently own both and like them both.

The Boxster is more raw and visceral but my 330i ZHP is faster, is close in handling and is much more comfortable as a daily driver.

My guess is that age is the biggest difference - BMW's are more plentiful and more affordable so you see people getting into these cars at an earlier age.

On a side note, I've had more people wanting to race me when I drive the Box than when I drive the Bimmer (or any of the Bimmers I've had).

Brucelee 03-27-2007 12:15 PM

BMW makes fine cars.

I like them and have owned several.

Ditto, Porsche.

PS-You can tell precious little about someone's character based on the car that they drive.

larryshomework 03-27-2007 12:18 PM

You know the old joke: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW (Porsche) driver? With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside... :dance:

FrayAdjacent 03-27-2007 02:29 PM

I agree with the younger crowd sentiment... BMWs are more plentiful, given they have many more models, and they have lower end models that will put them in the price range of younger people not too long after the cars are new.

I'm a little young myself, tho... 30, and I have two Porsches! I guess I buck the trend a little bit.

Grizzly 03-27-2007 02:56 PM

Mach Schnell,

Do it now. You know you want to.

SC986 03-27-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

I currently own both and like them both.
The same goes for me. My 328 is older than the Boxster. It's a different way of driving. The BMW is more torque where as the Boxster is more RPM.

The BMW has alot of little quirks..whining fuel pump, etc. Haven't noticed any in the Boxster yet (well other than the squeeks).

986Roadster 03-27-2007 04:37 PM

well if you come to my hood, bmw's are for old ladies.......the men drive benzo's. the kids drive hondas.

RandallNeighbour 03-27-2007 04:39 PM

I always fascinated when I see younger people (early 20's) driving older BMW's (6+ years old)

BMW's are always maintenance-laden when they hit 5-6 years old and I don't know how these young people can afford to keep them on the road.

However, I'm 45 and I am assuming they make 25k a year like I did and that's probably not true any more... some college kids I know make more than me at their night job as a programmer or network engineer.

All this to say, just as soon as I get this friggin' house remodel behind me, I'm shopping for a 2 year old CPO 545i. Yup, I'll have an all-German stable soon enough!

larryshomework 03-27-2007 06:26 PM

Mechanically, I've always found BMW's to be very stout; especially the e30 3-series. Sure the window switches might go out or the OBC will freak or the indicator lights won't go out - the engine and tranny keep going and going and going.

mach schnell 03-27-2007 06:58 PM

all great comments - one of the reasons I love this forum. I agree - BMW is a more accessible, plentiful car - thus more punks and grannies will be behind the wheel. I do really like the 330 ci, but still miss the 987 (I think partly because it was the fact that I managed to make my first Porsche a virgin Porsche). And trust me Grizzly, if I could jump back into a P-car now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The next car definitely will be either a 993 or 987s -maybe C7. in the meantime, I tweak the e46 to get it to feel a little more like the car that give me the ear-to-ear :D everytime I open the garage!

Cloudsurfer 03-27-2007 07:04 PM

I currently drive both as well, and while they are very different marques, I can find very few faults with either. Both great cars.

Patrick

Bavarian Motorist 03-28-2007 10:34 AM

BMWs are more attainable.