986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   windows down or A/C on? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10287-windows-down-c.html)

djomlas 03-26-2007 02:44 PM

windows down or A/C on?

did you guys see the myth busters episode on that?
they took 2 same trucks, eptied out their gas tanks, and put exactly 5 gallons of fuel and ran them around the track.
truck with the A/C blowing stopped about 15 miles before the truck with the windwos open did.
pretty neat.

CJ_Boxster 03-26-2007 02:55 PM

Yeah, and supposibly driving with the A/C on and windows up should have been more economical but it totally wasnt... sorta like the tailgate down on a truck is worse than tailgate up on a truck.

racer_d 03-26-2007 03:18 PM

I didn't see it, but, how fast were they driving? I would guess that above, say, 50mph the aero drag of open windows is greater than the hp drag of an a/c unit. Guess this test might bear that out.

dmcutter 03-26-2007 04:24 PM

What about top down, windows up, a/c on?

bmussatti 03-26-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcutter
What about top down, windows up, a/c on?

Not recommended. But, I hear people in very-very hot climates do it for some relief.

On a rental car, I would do it.

djomlas 03-26-2007 05:22 PM

they were traveling 45 mph

Ken Corsun 03-26-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
did you guys see the myth busters episode on that?
they took 2 same trucks, eptied out their gas tanks, and put exactly 5 gallons of fuel and ran them around the track.
truck with the A/C blowing stopped about 15 miles before the truck with the windwos open did.
pretty neat.

Would this apply to cars which are more aerodynamic? I've always heard that windows up with A/C is more economical than windows down with no A/C.

Ken

MartinJ 03-26-2007 06:52 PM

Does anyone on this board really think anything other than top down driving is worth considering?

C5150 03-26-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Yeah, and supposibly driving with the A/C on and windows up should have been more economical but it totally wasnt... sorta like the tailgate down on a truck is worse than tailgate up on a truck.

Yeah - I loved this episode. I've always told my wife that a tailgate down did nothing to help fuel efficiency. Finally someone publicly proved it. All those boners I see on the road with their tailgates down... makes me giggle.

super66 03-26-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ
Does anyone on this board really think anything other than top down driving is worth considering?

better question, have you posted any pics of your white bady boy? just curious if I missed them, can't see enough white ones....

must edit, I know your car, I've seen the pics on the other board, well i do admitt to driving top down AC on.......sometimes its just too hot