Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #1

Stupid Rookie Stereo Question

I don't do a lot of stereo installs, but I know you guys will know this immediately.

I'm installing an aftermarket head-unit and amp in one of my cars. The head-unit has speaker outs and RCA jacks. If I use the RCA outs to my amp and run four speakers from the four channel amp, can I still use the speaker outs from the head-unit to run the tweeters in the dash, or can I only use one or the other?

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #2

Well, you could use the head unit to power those but if you're buying an amp I wouldnt recommend it. If you buy component speakers, they will come with a crossover, splits the speaker signal to the tweeters and woofers, so for the front of the boxster, you can drive a two-way system off a 2 channel amp. You could run a 4 channel amp and bridge the other two to drive a sub, or use the 2 channels for rear speakers if you so chose. The factory system has a harness from the head unit, to the factory amp up front, and then back through another harness to the speakers. You can re-use the factory wiring, just place your amp in the front trunk and tie into the factory harness, but do run your own RCAs from the head to the amp.

Hope that helps

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I don't do a lot of stereo installs, but I know you guys will know this immediately.

I'm installing an aftermarket head-unit and amp in one of my cars. The head-unit has speaker outs and RCA jacks. If I use the RCA outs to my amp and run four speakers from the four channel amp, can I still use the speaker outs from the head-unit to run the tweeters in the dash, or can I only use one or the other?
The head unit has its own amp whose output goes to the speaker outs. The RCA jacks give a pre-amp (signal) level for the outside amp. So, yes, you can run speakers on the speaker outs AND feed the outside amp with the RCA jacks.
Z.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I knew you'd be able to square me away.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote