Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #1

Talking Replacing Dash Speakers

I've been reading as much as I can find on this topic -- so I have done my homework before posting this question.

I would like to change the dash speakers in my 1999 Boxster. I was able to easily remove one and took it with me to Hi-Fi Buys and Circuity City here in the Atlanta area. Neither store had anything that would work as a modified replacement (much less a direct replacement).

From what I've read, the only direct replacements are the MB Quarts -- but I can't find them. I don't mind making some minor mods to the speakers -- but haven't been given much encouragement to try anything.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Other info that may help: I do have door speakers -- but no rear ones at this time. I plan on installing the PNP speakers which many on this board have recommended.

Thank you,
-gene

GSRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #2

I used the Infinity Kappa 4.5" speakers. If you're willing to destroy the existing speakers it's a pretty straightforward install and they sound great. You can find them for a great price on ebay.
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #3

More than willing

I'll check eBay. Could you provide a bit more info on the mods you made? I don't have a problem doing whatever I have to do to the existing speakers. I don't plan to use them again. I know they have a separate tweeter that will not be needed with an upgrade. Correct?

thanks,
-gene
Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #4

Hi Gene,

www.cardomain.com has the MB Quart speakers
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Component+Speaker+Systems&x=37&y=13&order=priceasc
Look for 4" inch component systems, I just ordered the RVF210, they seem to fit

Good luck
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRP

From what I've read, the only direct replacements are the MB Quarts -- but I can't find them. I don't mind making some minor mods to the speakers -- but haven't been given much encouragement to try anything.

Thank you,
-gene
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #5

Any other brands besides MB Quart that work. I find them too bright for my tastes.

I've always like the JL Audio stuff - seems pretty neutral
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #6

As mentioned, Infinity Kappa and Reference series work/fit well. I chose the Refrence series as their load is 4 Ohm to match the stock - but after also replacing my doors (which were only 2 Ohm) either I think would be fine.

The only mods you need to do are
-cut the old mid-range speaker out of the custom molded plastic bracket/basket - leaving just the "ring" and the tab mounts to screw back into housing
-cut the leads to the old tweeter from the mid-range
-modify/make some sort of connection to hook it back up

I left my OEM tweeter in place - doesn't function but figured it was better than leaving the spot empty (the Infinity's are coaxial not components and only fit into the mid-range's place).

Using either epoxy or some other type of adhesive, secure your new speaker to the basket ring (you may have to trim the ears slightly from the new speaker to fit and also the rim on the housing (to notch it for the ears). For the connection, I used the old plug and soldered it onto the leads of the new speaker. Others have clipped both plug ends (car side and housing) and put in new ones. You could also use standard male/female crimp on connectors. However, if you choose std crimp-ons, I'd go w/ either 2 different sizes or reverse the m/f on one lead so you can easily differentiate + / - when re-installing.

Good luck and it's definitely worth the minimal effort to upgrade. One caution for you:

Make sure you are safely seated when disassembling the speaker. I'd hate for you to fall over and hurt yourself while laughing when you discover how cheaply made the OEM speakers are (paper cones and all)!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #7

Infinity Reference Speakers for Dash

I found the Infinity Reference 4" speakers model 4012i -- would this be the speaker that fits? :dance:

thanks,
-gene
Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #8

those'd be the ones I used. Good luck!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryshomework
Any other brands besides MB Quart that work. I find them too bright for my tastes.

I've always like the JL Audio stuff - seems pretty neutral
Hi,

I'm a real fan of Focals, Helix, and Hertz. Listed below are what are generally considered to be the best Car Stereo Speakers available today. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote