986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   01 Boxster S vs. 99 Carrera 996 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10221-01-boxster-s-vs-99-carrera-996-a.html)

arkaplan 03-23-2007 02:08 AM

01 Boxster S vs. 99 Carrera 996

I have currently a 01 Boxster S with 110000 miles on it.
I have the opportunity to pick up a 99 Carrera 996 with 87000 miles on it but it has a brand new $8000 tranny and new clutch. The place I'm trading in the Boxster is going to give me 20 for it so I think that sounds like a good deal. I would be getting the 996 just a shade under 4K what I paid for the Boxster.
The question now is: Is it worth it? Will I get a big performance increase? Any thoughts are appreciated!

z12358 03-23-2007 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkaplan
I would be getting the 996 just a shade under 4K what I paid for the Boxster.

This doesn't say much, as these two data points could be years apart. How much do you think you can get the 996 for? Personally, if your Box is still going strong I would keep it, and my $.

Z.

edevlin 03-23-2007 04:09 AM

Give the 99 a serious test drive and see if all the talk about heavy rear ends on cornering have any merit. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if you snap through the gears if there is any accereration difference over your Boxster. Personally, I would not go for such a high milage used car, but that is just because I would like to keep it for quite some time. But I sure understand about finances. BTW, I am glad to see Boxsters out there with over 1000k.

Ed

:cheers:

wetstuff 03-23-2007 05:14 AM

Kap: Price sounds right... That's a fair $$ for your 100k car..and not much of transition cost. Funny, I was coming over the Bay Bridge yesterday when, in the rearview, a silver Boxster with top down was going to pass me; it was a 996 4S.. (that was probably $95+k list..)

You didn't say whether it was Coupe or Cab.. We got a 997 Coupe and frankly love the extra room and mass. It has more grunt but does not have as connected a feel the Boxster has. I don't redline anything, so lap times and that s_it is pretty meaningless to me.

It's a tough call ..but nice to have the option, eh? Good luck.

j i m

Brucelee 03-23-2007 05:59 AM

Personally, I would not buy a 99 911. These cars were "not ready for prime time" when they shipped them and are replete with issues, including engine issues.

Caveat Emptor!

:)

Grizzly 03-23-2007 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetstuff
Funny, I was coming over the Bay Bridge yesterday when, in the rearview, a silver Boxster with top down was going to pass me; it was a 996 4S..

j i m

So the car turned out to be a 996, not a 986? I only ask because I was back and forth across the Bay Bridge a couple of times yesterday in a silver Box with the top down. Yesterday was a great top-down day. So great, in fact that I forgot to go to work...

wetstuff 03-23-2007 07:22 AM

1. I'd listen to our host.

...and Grizz: I spent a fair bit of time looking at it .. partially because there was an attractive blond in the pass. seat. It was an S4 .. Eastbound, about 1:30pm. I'll watch for you: and if some guy waves at you from a Yellow Escape: I'm not gay!

j i m

thomschoon 03-23-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Personally, I would not buy a 99 911. These cars were "not ready for prime time" when they shipped them and are replete with issues, including engine issues.

Caveat Emptor!

:)

+1
Do a serious PPI, just cause it had $8000 in work doesnt make it a better car, it might just mean it needed $20k in work and he couldnt afford it.

Perfectlap 03-23-2007 08:28 AM

that would be trading down. At Autocross at least I've seen BoxsterS after BoxsterS go quicker than Standard Carreras, especially the 99's with the smaller 3.4 engines. Nice looking car though and the fold down seats make it a much more practical car.

the 2002-2004 911's are the more desireable Carreras. The C4S and C4S Cabs leading that pack on resale for normally aspirated Pcars.

High miles and pre-2000 Carreras are a double negative whammy.
Personally I'd have trouble sleeping at night owning an out of warranty Carrera.

Cloudsurfer 03-23-2007 08:56 PM

Definitly second whats been said here, if you want a 996 get an 02 or newer. Also, as has been said, I'd very VERY nervous owning the car you're talking about buying. If your Boxster is healthy, I'd keep driving it.

Patrick

Bavarian Motorist 03-25-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
that would be trading down. At Autocross at least I've seen BoxsterS after BoxsterS go quicker than Standard Carreras, especially the 99's with the smaller 3.4 engines. Nice looking car though and the fold down seats make it a much more practical car.

the 2002-2004 911's are the more desireable Carreras. The C4S and C4S Cabs leading that pack on resale for normally aspirated Pcars.

High miles and pre-2000 Carreras are a double negative whammy.
Personally I'd have trouble sleeping at night owning an out of warranty Carrera.

If there's anything I learned about autocross today, it's that your car makes no difference. It's all about the driver.