986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   best way to clean rust on wheel lugs? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10220-best-way-clean-rust-wheel-lugs.html)

ehD 03-23-2007 12:09 AM

best way to clean rust on wheel lugs?

getting rims powdercoated and now that i have my boxster on four towers i realize i should definitely get these lugs cleaned as their all rusted. what's the best way to clean it.. is there something i can just dip it in? also i noticed a lot of this rust on the brake disc.. does it perform okay? i mean my rims kind of cover it anyways...

ehD 03-23-2007 12:16 AM

or are they called bolts..?

Boxtaboy 03-23-2007 03:38 AM

I have this problem too. Surface rust on the wheel bolts. Any way to solve this, barring buying a new set? TIA.

FrayAdjacent 03-23-2007 04:24 AM

Clean 'em up and have the heads of the bolts powdercoated, too?

porschedude 03-23-2007 09:35 AM

I just sprayed them with silver paint...works great and looks new again.

CJ_Boxster 03-23-2007 09:41 AM

I was thinking of removing one from each wheel a day and letting it siting a cup of Coka-Cola to desolve the rust, then spraying head of the bolts with WD-40 to protect them from rusting in the future.... then replacing on to the wheel and taking the next set of bolts..... Is it super dangerous if i drive with only 4 bolts in the wheels, even if im not on the freeways?

MNBoxster 03-23-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I was thinking of removing one from each wheel a day and letting it siting a cup of Coka-Cola to desolve the rust, then spraying head of the bolts with WD-40 to protect them from rusting in the future.... then replacing on to the wheel and taking the next set of bolts..... Is it super dangerous if i drive with only 4 bolts in the wheels, even if im not on the freeways?

Hi,

Not at all recommended! If you are gonna do it, just don't do it on any streets I drive - please!!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

CJ_Boxster 03-23-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Not at all recommended! If you are gonna do it, just don't do it on any streets I drive - please!!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Fair enough. Just dont do any public service bulletins in my cable providers area... I wouldnt be able to handle a 3 page long ticker going at the bottom of my screen for 2 hours ;)

Does this mean i cant test drive my car on your street when i do my 1 wheel bolt only lightweight mod??????!!!!!! jk!

ehD 03-23-2007 02:20 PM

i was under the impression that paint chips off easily on the bolts/lugs? i'm hesitant to powder coat them but its only like $.50 each to powder coat.

NickCats 03-23-2007 04:06 PM

I have used Naval Jelly to remove rust on my old Harley...

Works great !

Nick

wpruitt 03-23-2007 05:10 PM

Wheel bolt rust on mine was

horrible so I pulled them and used a bench grinder with a brass wire brush and finished them off with a dremel wire brush. After replacing, I used a metal protectant spray. They still look good after a few months but I am sure they will eventually rust again.

Warren

ehD 03-23-2007 05:32 PM

ok i have one half of my bolts soaked in acetone, the other half soaked in very old coca cola. let's see what happens...