Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
boggtown

Trip to Texas Advice (Speed Trap)

Im going to leave from Kansas City, MO and take 71 all the way down to Texarkana, TX. If anyone lives along that route and knows of speed traps Id like to know. I know Harrison Arkansas is full of cops who like to get travelers. Im leaving Monday so it will be a big trial by fire for the V1. Wish me luck. Ive made the trip several times, my average time is 7 hours, my best was like 6:30.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #2

Not really familiar with the area, but if you're on the highways and freeways, keep it under 10mph over the posted, and you'll usually be fine. Try to stick closer to the limit when going through small towns, tho. Some Texas towns are anal about it, and speeding gives them some revenue!

Won't be much of a problem, most of our speed limits on open highways and freeways is 70mph. That's plenty fast.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Texarkana is only a few short hours east of Dallas. Any chance of a side trip to meet the Dallas members? We're a friendly bunch
Old 03-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
boggtown

I know dallas is close, about 3 hours. Id be cool with driving down there and hanging with you guys. Get a bite to eat and whatnot. I havent been to dallas since last april so you gotta tell me whats changed. I do know there is a good restraunt in northpark mall (maggianos), plus theres a Porsche store in there. lol
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #5

If you have a GPS, I would load one of the current "speed trap" files into it. It should give you a proximity warning when your near and ding at you when traveling over the speed limit. I use it both for speed traps and red light cameras in conjunction with a radar detector.
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I know dallas is close, about 3 hours. Id be cool with driving down there and hanging with you guys. Get a bite to eat and whatnot. I havent been to dallas since last april so you gotta tell me whats changed. I do know there is a good restraunt in northpark mall (maggianos), plus theres a Porsche store in there. lol
BoggTown,

If you vist Dallas and do infact go to the NorthPark Center Mall stop by our store there. Our family owns a toy store in there called Puzzle Zoo. It is one of our newest locations. I have yet to visit it myself but from what I have seen from drawing and pictures it's pretty amazing. Let me know if you check it out.

Have a safe trip!

James
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #7

Oh really! I was at NorthPark just last week, saw Puzzle Zoo, and thought "gee, now that looks like a neat store."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
BoggTown,

If you vist Dallas and do infact go to the NorthPark Center Mall stop by our store there. Our family owns a toy store in there called Puzzle Zoo. It is one of our newest locations. I have yet to visit it myself but from what I have seen from drawing and pictures it's pretty amazing. Let me know if you check it out.

Have a safe trip!

James
Old 03-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #8

Thought I'd share my Texas speeding ticket incident. At the time (about five years ago) there was no reciprocity in DMV records between CA and TX so when I got pulled over by Walker, Texas Ranger on a weekend day in West Texas, my choices were:

A) Do not pass "GO" and stay in jail until Monday when the Judge could make a ruling
B) Plead guilty on the spot and pay my fine via Money Order.

After giving the matter some deep thought, I opted for B).

The trooper gives me a ride to the closest Quick-mart type place, which conveniently sells money orders and then back to my car on the H-way. All in all, it could have been worse. Point being if MO and TX don't have reciprocity you could find yourself in a similar situation.

87 in a 55, Trooper going the opposite way was clocking counter-flow.

Although I got stopped in daylight, my understanding is that Texas is rather strict on their night-time speed limits enforcement.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
boggtown

No prob, maybe I can get some mad discount on some puzzles... or animals, lol.

Thanks for the advice SD, I think Im gonna leave around 1 am and get there by 8 am. I love night driving because no traffic, and by the time I get to texas it will be daylight.

Last edited by boggtown; 03-22-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
boggtown

I made it fine. V1 worked for sure once. One cop didnt have his on but I slowed down because I saw the Authorized vehicles only sign and figured there would be a sneaky cop. Over all people drive slow. I had some good twisties in arkansas, then when I got on I30 it was straight forever. Average speed on those highways was like 80-90, and I was just going with traffic. In missouri on the higways you will have people going 5 under, but on those interstates, its all or nothing, lol.