Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #1

Coolant Temp. Light Slow Blink

Hey guys... I posted this on another forum recently but have no reply yet...

Let me first make you aware that I have done a lot of searching on this forum and others on this topic. I just wanted to gauge some extra input as what I have found has not fixed my small problem yet.

Here's what I have:
1998 Boxster
53,000 miles
Tiptronic
Ocean Blue
Hard top (because of this the cloth top is in brand-new condition... pristine)
On-board computer
CD Changer
Only had one owner... in Houston the whole time (no maintenance records, unfortunetely)

I have driven it about 200 miles since I bought it (it's a weekend car). The thing runs beautifully. The place I bought it from put a new battery and new alternator in as part of the deal for me. I have no complaints. The engine sounds beautiful!

Here's the problem:
When it is above 75F outside and I have been driving stop and go or I get off the freeway after a nice little run, I get the slow blink light on the temperature gauge. I am aware the slow blink means coolant and/or engine compartment overheat/fan. I used the diagnostic tool in the AC unit to find the exact coolant temperature... the highest I have seen is 101C/214F, which is just on the "0" in 180 in the gauge. So, the engine isn't heating up too bad, but I feel it is running too hot for the tempreatures outside not being much above 80F here in Houston right now. The light never blinks and the needle stays in between the "8" and the "0" in 180 if it is 70F outside and I dont do any hard driving. From what I can tell, having the AC or Heater blowing does not affect the temp or light at all. If I am on the freeway on warm weather the temp says just slightly above the middle of 8 and 0. If I get off and let it idle for even 10 minutes it only raises just a little above that... never to the edge or right of the 0.

Here's what I have checked/done:
1) I cleaned the front radiators of debris; 2) replaced coolant tank cap with the newer "01" part; 3) checked coolant level while engine was hot and cold (fine both times); 4) verified all fuses are ok; 5) verified that both front fans and rear fan are all 3 blowing; 6) pulled up rear carpet and looked around for coolant leaks... did not find any

So, do any of you have any insight as to what this could be? A sensor maybe? I definetely think heat has something to do with it because it only comes on in warmer weather or when I get the engine going pretty well. I don't think coolant level/loss is the problem. Could the compartment fan be going bad?

Here's the other thing: I'm not sure what kind of coolant is in the car, but I plan on getting it flushed soon because I don't know what kind (it's green... very clean). If it were not "Porsche approved" could it be causing the light even with no cooling/level issues?

Thanks sooooo much!

Hugh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #2

I'm not sure if it's helpful or not, but on my 2000 S, the coolant temp diagnostic has gone up to 108 and I've never gotten that blinking temp light. Since that diagnostic is running off of the coolant from a sensor on the engine block as far as I know, maybe the blinking light warning is based on the temperature of something else besides coolant? But then again, maybe the S has a different coolant temperature range it looks at before blinking.

Heh, maybe I'm just confusing things. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks, David.... still good stuff to know. I haven't been too worried about the temperature reading so far... I realize 101 isn't too bad, but I do wonder what it will do in the summer.

That blinking light sure is annoying though! Hope it's not a sign of worse things to come. Like I said, it goes to the shop on Monday or Tuesday.

Just gotta decide who I want to take it to here in Houston.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh D
Hey guys... I posted this on another forum recently but have no reply yet...
No kidding. You posted the identical message 21 minutes earlier on renntech.org on a Saturday afternoon.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #5

Hi,

I had this problem, the light sometimes flashed and sometimes didn't and when I asked my mechanic he told me to check my reservoir in the trunk. As it happens, the coolant level was just barely above the minumum mark. I added some coolant to bring the level up some and the light stayed off afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #6

Yeah... my coolant level is fine, and it appears I am not losing any. I am thinking this will be something my mechanic needs to look at, but still good to hear what others have in mind.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #7

I am going to post my solution just for future searchers that run across this thread....

It turned out to be my coolant level sensor.... $20 part.