986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Another Top Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10169-another-top-question.html)

larryshomework 03-20-2007 07:12 AM

Another Top Question

My top is in good condition but I've noticed the following.

When I put it back up, there are two indentations (one on each side - middle, right where the top and window meet) that look like the window was pressured against somegthing hard and sharp.

I make sure the window folds horizontally in the middle but the issue remains.

The second thing I've noticed are what appear to be scuff marks on the top from being folded. When I looked Boxsters, I noticed many with the same marks.

Are these unavoidable issues?

Is there any problem with leaving the top down for extended periods (over 1 month)?

Thanks

CJ_Boxster 03-20-2007 07:23 AM

To troubleshoot something like that is near impossible over the net, your best bet is to goto a place and specializes in Tops and get there opinion.

I dont think anyone has reported any issues with leaving the top down longer than 1 month but its not recommended due to the theory that Im sure MNboxster knows of, which i cannot remember, sorry.

JAAY 03-20-2007 07:36 AM

Those sharp spots are from the top not folding in half properly.. I think... At least that is what mine does. When I put my top down I get it about half way down and then get out and make sure I pop the plastic back into place so the window folds perfectly in half.. I hope this helps.

MNBoxster 03-20-2007 08:44 AM

Hi,

I have that too and it may be a symptom of leaving the Top down, I don't know or care. My Top is down 99.9% of the Time, don't drive in weather, so only Up for washes, occasional service to the trop of the engine, and when I store it for the season.

There's probably some benefit to having it Up occasionally like spreading the Lube in the Top Transmissions and Cables. Maybe it will avoid the sharp creases as well.

But, Mine is always DOWN and the sharp creases are unseen. If the Top is UP for any apreciable length of time, I notice they do tend to disappear...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

larryshomework 03-20-2007 02:50 PM

I'm with you Jim - Box stays in the garage and I won't drive it much if the top can't be down.

I was primarily concerned if I'm doing something wrong - I've done the "light" karate chop to make sure there's a fold but still get the dents. Like yours, the tend to almost go away if the top is up for a while (but it rarely is).

Boxtaboy 03-20-2007 03:27 PM

The indentations, you can't do much about, but to minimize the scuff marks, make sure you don't put your top up or down when the top is wet (ie. right after a car wash or rain shower). The wet cloth top becomes abrasive, and pulls the top at certain spots, causing premature wear marks.

rosso 04-18-2007 05:17 PM

I had the same thing on my top and its more like someone tried to push a pencil or something from the inside through the plastic... its not really a crease or crack but more of a really bad indent on the sides of the plastic near the seam. very strange.

Peter Serbanica 04-18-2007 05:56 PM

the scuff marks ane normal friction wear and aging. When the plastic is really warm and soft when folding, a folding point can develop. sometimes a heatgun can resolve this, but not completely. Don't put heat gun tooclose to plastic. Also give the plastic a "karate chop" when top is about 1/2 way down so plastic is smoothe with no wrinkles. We get $525.00 to replace plastic window :cheers: