986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   help w the top (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10149-help-w-top.html)

djomlas 03-19-2007 04:00 PM

help w the top

so heres a background of the day i guess,
went to pick up my GF from school, put the top down, chopped it or whatever, it was all good.
then i picked her up, pushed the button and it went up.
dropped her off and wanted to put the top down, and nothing, and the dash light is lit up as well, saying that the top is down or up or whatever that means.
all i can hear is clicking noise when pushing the button (handbrake up of course), when i put the handbrake down the button and mechanism make no clicking noise, so i know its not the E-brake handle switch at least.
checked the fuses under the dash, all seem to be fine.
this happened to me before as well, and somehow (i dont even remember how) but it just opened.
what can i check or do, its really frustrating.

FrayAdjacent 03-19-2007 04:58 PM

Sounds a little similar to my top predicament.

Maybe try what you suggested? Swap the dash switch with the lock switch, see if that works.

djomlas 03-19-2007 05:01 PM

switch works fine, when i push the button i can hear that something is going on back there, i can hear clicking noise as if its about to get going, but it doesnt.

SigmaPi 03-19-2007 05:19 PM

DJ,

Did you check the drive mechanism under the plastic window. I know the original cables were fairly weak they could have broke. There are two cables running out of each side of the drive. It could be one of the cables slipped off the drive as well. Lift up the back of your top and the drive should reside dead center of the top well.

djomlas 03-19-2007 05:28 PM

well the top is stuck in close position.
i also pulled out the big relay above the fusebox, shook it a little and still no luck.

only thing that happend when i push the button with handbrake up, windoes go down of course, and it just akes clicking noise from the back and that is all

98Boxster98 03-19-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
well the top is stuck in close position.
i also pulled out the big relay above the fusebox, shook it a little and still no luck.

only thing that happend when i push the button with handbrake up, windoes go down of course, and it just akes clicking noise from the back and that is all

From your description, it sure sounds like the cables have slipped out of the cable transmission, like SigmaPI said. Try over at renntech.org - a lot of info on similar problems. You should probably check to see if you have the newer cables that don't stretch as much.