Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #1

Starter Motor or ignition problems? Help!

Hello, I've recently got a 1998 Boxster 2.5. I love the car but I'm worried about a screeching noise on startup that occurs about 60% of the time. I think it sounds like the starter motor not disengaging quickly enough and it only lasts for about 1-2 seconds after the engine starts. If it is the starter does it mean its about to give up or can lubricate/ repair it?

I did also wonder if it could be to do with the ignition switch as unlike other treads its not hard to turn but I do have to turn the key back to position 2 gently after starting to ensure the wipers etc work!

The only other idea I have is that it could be a belt squealing but I not sure about that one!

Thanks to anyone that can help.

martmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:03 AM   #2

I believe my car may have made a noise similar to what you described... I think it must have been when it was colder, because I haven't heard it in a while. What I think it is - the solenoid is not resetting quickly when the starter is disengaged, causing the starter to spin up a little when the engine actually turns over.

It appears to have gone away... and the above is only my theory on the noise.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #3

If it is indeed the solenoid- is the solenoid replaceable or does the whole starter need to be replaced?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
If it is indeed the solenoid- is the solenoid replaceable or does the whole starter need to be replaced?
Hi,

The Part Manual shows the Starter PN# 986.604.104.00 but not a separate PN# for the solenoid.

That said, if you pulled the starter and took it to an Auto Electronics place, they could replace the solenoid for you.

The Starter price new is $400+ and rebuilt $300+, $100 Core Dep.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #5

sounds like a belt screeching when it's cold.....spray some belt

dressing or silicon spray from walmart. when starters are failing, they do not screech like that....it's more like a dificulty in cranking up but not screeching. oh, to remove the cover (heat shield) for the belt, push both seats forward and lift up the vertical carpet right behind the seats. then loosen the 6-8 bolts and remove cover carefully. you will see the belt right there. if belt shows wear (small cracks), you need to replace. if you search the forum, i think you can find pictures of belt and cover.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #6

your ignition switch is probably a separate problem....if you have to

wiggle/tweak to make the wipers work, then the switch is on the way out. just watch it carefully. you can buy an iginition switch from pelicanparts.com for $10 and DIY (search forum for pics/instructions). If you bring to dealer, they will replace the entire lock key/switch assemby for $600 (no kidding) because Porsche does not sell the ignition switch separately anymore. If you don't want to DIY, then you can get a mechanic to do it for $100-150 labor, even though it only takes 10 minutes (lie on your back on the driver's floormat and remove 2 screws with a very tiny screwdriver).
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
ehD

i have the same problem, but the screeching sound happens more like 25% of the time...
ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #8

I've got a replacement belt- just waiting for some time :ah:
Not even a difficult task to complete based on what I've read!
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #9

Hi,

Accessory Belts screech, but a Starter can too sometimes. If you can't isolate it, change the Polyrib Belt and see if that doesn't fix it - cheap and you're probably coming up on it anyway. If not, then delve deeper into the Starter...

PS You also need a replacement Ignition Switch - $20 on eBay
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #10

Thanks for all you're help - it sounds like I'll order a new ignition switch and take a look at the belts before messing about with the starter.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #11

I've now fitted a new ignition switch and its sorted the key problem hving to turn it back to position 2 after starting. However, the starter motor noise is still present. Any ideas what my next move should be? It seems from the posts I should spray the aux belt to make sure its not the belts and then take the starter to an auto electrican. Any other ideas?

thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by martmart
It seems from the posts I should spray the aux belt to make sure its not the belts
If you going to go through the very easy hassle of getting to the belt you might as well replace it. It's $27.16 and an easy D.I.Y..

www.************************************************************
Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #13

Hi,

Don't spray the belt. That'll make it slip...