Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #1

How to feel instantly inferior in your Boxster

I was out cruising some backroad highways around a nearby lake this morning when a silver Carrera GT pulls in behind me. Wow is that a car!!! I all of a sudden felt like I was driving a Honda Civic. He followed me for about a mile before pulling off. He gave me a flash of his headlights which I thought was pretty cool of him.

Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
He followed me for about a mile before pulling off. He gave me a flash of his headlights which I thought was pretty cool of him.
You should have said "I held him off for about a mile, until he gave up and pulled off."
We'd all have bought it.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #3

It was cool of him to give you the flash before pulling off. Most Carrera owner swould have made it a point to ignore you.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #4

I was goin down the freeway to the south side of town in the middle lane...

.. then a black Carrera 4S Cabriolet passed me in the left lane.... MAN that was a NICE car!!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #5

I felt the same way in my 914 when a Boxster would follow me.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
It was cool of him to give you the flash before pulling off. Most Carrera owner swould have made it a point to ignore you.

Most CARRERA owners would have ignored you...but anyone who could afford to get a CARRERA GT probably has their head on straight and just enjoys cars for what they are...fun cars!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Most CARRERA owners would have ignored you...but anyone who could afford to get a CARRERA GT probably has their head on straight and just enjoys cars for what they are...fun cars!

EXACTLY...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #8

Good story,
Maybe Carrera GT owners were once Boxster owners with a dream!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
even if you own that car there is always a better car, so no need to be an ass to anyone, but that was pretty neat, no need to feel bad about your car
btw, i was driving home last night, and a guy w a new 911 (still had temp plates and some bog deep dish HREs) yells nice 986. at first i didnt even notice there was a car next to me, but when he said 986 i knew someone knew something about porsches.
hes like you wanna race? i said my car wasnt warmed up yet and i didnt wanan embarrace him, we laughed hystericallt and took off, well after a few seconds he was prety far up the road, he slowed down and complimented my car on unique color, wawed back and turned.
pretty kool
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #10

at least you guys got some good experience...on the way to AX yesterday, I saw a 993 Convertible Arena REd (same color as mine) on the horizon. So I was thinking that prolly this guy is on it's way too...I drove right next to him, got his elbow relaxed by the window, got his collar shirt up (like those preppy type) waving my hand, giving him a big thumbs up while driving and that arse didn't even look

I just told my son that prolly he had a fight with his G/F or something
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #11

I drove from Virginia to Florida and back this week, mostly along Interstate 95. On the way down, in Georgia, I think, I saw a set three headlights comming up pretty quickly in the rear-view mirror. It was a new GT3, standard Carrera, and a 944 turbo. They all had big numbers on thier car doors, so they must have been running a rally or some such thing.

I dropped in behind them and hopped someone in the group had a radar detector. I must have stayed with them for 50-75 miles before they turned off. Very interesting to watch. The GT3 and 944 would wait until the road was clear ahead, then line up next to each other and then punch it. I was suprised how fast the 944 turbo was, I suspect it was no longe stock. It did a good job of keeping up with the GT3, which sounded like a monster when it took off, fun stuff.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #12

I like pulling up next to GT3's on my BMW motorcycle (k12s). They never take chase. Just remember, there is always someone faster!
c_warpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #13

Anyone seen the Gemballa Mirage in Excellence? Never thought the GT would look hum drum...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
ehD

i dont get why a carrera flashing his lights at you is a good thing... isnt that usually a sign of 'get out of the way i'm passing'? i flick my high beams a couple times when people are frustratingly slow in front of me =x
ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
i dont get why a carrera flashing his lights at you is a good thing... isnt that usually a sign of 'get out of the way i'm passing'? i flick my high beams a couple times when people are frustratingly slow in front of me =x

"Not so many years ago, spotting another Porsche on the road was a welcome event. Without ever meeting the driver, you could rest assured that you had encountered a kindred spirit; someone who shared your appreciation of one of the best engineered performance cars in the world. As a sign of acknowledgment, the drivers would flash their headlights. Though some still practice the tradition, many old owners have gotten lazy and many new owners have never learned this important tradition. Owning a Porsche is a unique experience. Do your part to preserve the experience... keep the flash alive! "
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
If the driver flicks his beams from the opposite direction its cool. if the guy behind you flicks his beams then your driving to slow and move out of the way..show respect!
In Europe they respect this gesture but in good old USA they wont understand..
In fact there is no order in America highways.. Anyone may drive the fast lane even trucks..
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
funny thing you mention that.
me and my friend were going to get his new car, we were in his 540i
we were going down south in IL
as soon as we kinda got out of chicago area, EVERYONE moved out of the way as we sped by (i will not mention any speeds, but he clearly want following the speed limit by any means). it was pretty neat, we were just passing everyyyyone, we were in far left lane, and everyone just moved over as they saw us approaching, i tought that was cool.
then on the way back you can totally see were getting close to chicago as more and more people are going like 40 in left lane on a freaking highway.
driving in chicago is the most frustrating thing ever, so many idiots on roads
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #18

If you can drive in NYC you can drive anywhere... try driving midtown during rush hour...better yet check out time square at 7 pm...

Help my autox skills...
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #19

To make Porscheracer feel better I’ll provide more details. I had pulled off the highway to swing through a park quickly to check out the lake. At the stop sign as I was pulling back onto the highway he came over a hill on the road opposite of me and flashed his lights at me. I was already into the turn too far for me to flash back. He pulls in behind me but kept a respectful distance back. If anything, he fell back as a pushed it a little harder through the turns. 3/4s of a mile later he pulled off onto another side road. Nothing but respect from both drivers.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Speaking of feeling inferior in your Boxster....

I thought you guys and gals would enjoy this picture.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote