Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Epoxy styl G2 Brake Caliper paint kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270099523769&rd=1

I wanted to get people's opinions on this kit since i bought it to do the calipers with. I did not go with the traditional red like most. I went with black since my wheels are blk and the decal i am putting on the calipers are going to be silver. I figure i don't want the red to stand out since the car is either blk or silver.. Let me know what you guys think of the kit

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #2

I was thinking about doing my calipers in yellow. Mine is seal gray with black top/interior. I plan on getting 18" turbo twists and having them panted black. But I think black calipers with yellow decals (or silver) might look pretty sweet with black rims.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #3

see with my car there is a color scheme.. My front bumper air vents are meshed and painted blk. The side intake surrounding is blk but the slots are silver. Wheels are blk . The car is artic silver so there is no way to introduce yellow or red on the car. I went with blk paint since first i like the car to somewhat have a pattern plus the decals will show up more on blk with the blk wheels in front of them.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
fab

post some pics when your done and let us know how the kit worked out. Would you recommed the kit?
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

I did the duplicolor kit. I think it came out great.
New rotors and calipers painted today step by step
thats the link to the thread I started on that.. I took photos of it all done step by step with rotor replacement.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
fab

Jaay, thanks for the link. I did read that post and you did a good job. I'm curious as how good the product that clb0099 purchased?
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
boggtown

G2 is just about the best thing out there besides powdercoating.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #8

I just did mine using the G2 kit, and it came out like factory!!! It was easy, and the shine before using alittle clear coat was tops. I did mine in red with the white decals like JAYY. Put a light first coat on after cleaning with the spray, and waited 15 mins to set. Then went over with a heavy coat, and no problems. Next day, I put the decals on, and clear coated it. G2 , I believe is a thicker coating product, with a lifetime guarantee on chipping and flaking.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #9

Prior to selling the 987 i did the calipers (let me be honest, i had a local shop do the calipers) with a G2 kit using yellow and then I replaced the Porsche logo with a carbon fiber Porsche logo. Against the black car, with 19" Carrera S, it was amazing looking. Ideally, powdercoating is the way to go, but you have two issues to deal with - not having your car for up to a week (vs 24 hours for G2 kit) and several hundreds $$$ more in cost. I couldn't be without the car for more than a day when I did it, and had used the kit before on other vehicles with good results, so was happy with outcome. I'll post some pix when I get home

I'll eventually do the same to the BMW - the calipers on the BMW aren't as large as the Porsche, so the outcome won't be as super cool.

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #10

I did my calipers too with the G2 kit from this same eBay seller. Turned out great... I would have cleaned the calipers FAR BETTER if I was doing it all over again though. Use the entire can of degreaser they give you, saturate the calipers, and rub them down good with clean cloths, then repeat the process.

That way your caliper paint won't turn black as you put on the first coat.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #11

Here's a pix of how the calipers turned out
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!

Last edited by mach schnell; 03-16-2007 at 09:22 PM.
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
... Ideally, powdercoating is the way to go, but you have two issues to deal with - not having your car for up to a week (vs 24 hours for G2 kit) and several hundreds $$$ more in cost...
Hi,

Actually, I powder coated the Calipers on my Esprit myself with a $72 Hot Coat powdercoat system from Eastland (now $99 I see) - http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C458%2C459%2C460&KickerID=68&KICKER - It's a pretty good kit yeilding surprisingly good results.

I media blasted the Calipers and powder-coated them, then baked them in my Kitchen Oven for an Hour. Looked great and 5 yrs. later, they are still like new. The whole deal took about 3 Hrs. including reinstallation. BTW, your Calipers look great!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-16-2007 at 10:05 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Actually, I powder coated the Calipers on my Esprit myself with a $72 Hot Coat powdercoat system from Eastland (now $99 I see) - http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C458%2C459%2C460&KickerID=68&KICKER - It's a pretty good kit yeilding surprisingly good results.

I media blasted the Calipers and powder-coated them, then baked them in my Kitchen Oven for an Hour. Looked great and 5 yrs. later, they are still like new. The whole deal took about 3 Hrs. including reinstallation. BTW, your Calipers look great!...

Would not recommend using kitchen oven for powder coating, emissions are flamable so if you must use the oven in your kitchen make sure its not gas or propane. We powder coated a ton of parts and just used an old electric oven in the garage.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
boggtown

I was wanting mine powdercoated way more than painted. I called around and it would cost $100 to get them all powdercoated. The reason I didnt was because Id have to take off the calipers and disasemble them completely. I dont have that kind of time and the chance for me to screw up the pistons were the main things.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Would not recommend using kitchen oven for powder coating, emissions are flamable so if you must use the oven in your kitchen make sure its not gas or propane. We powder coated a ton of parts and just used an old electric oven in the garage.
Hi,

Actually, it was an electric oven, but not in our Kitchen, it's an old one from a remodel, I put a 220V plug on it and use it in the Garage, makes my wife crazy to see it in there.

@Bogg - I did rebuild the Calipers, which is no big deal if you have a compressor to pop the pistons out, usually 8-10PSI will do the job. A couple of seals for the pistons and some new Dust Seals, takes maybe 20 min. to do the rebuild, if the Bores/Pistons aren't corroded - this is why you want to change your Brake Fluid Bi-annually...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote