986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hybernation is over! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10109-hybernation-over.html)

drburton 03-17-2007 11:41 AM

Hybernation is over!

Took the car out of hibernation today, so this is the first time it has been touched since the beginning of November.

Thanks to Jim and others who contributed to the post on how to store a car. This is my first time and it worked great. Car started up with no issues, all is working well.

Went for a spin today and that sound is intoxicating, I missed it. :)

After months of driving a luxury SUV, the ride was abusive, I forgot about that. Only going to get worse when I add the 19" wheels. I'll get used to it..

The Box will probably see limited use in the next month, but I'm excited to have her out and ready to roll :dance:

bmussatti 03-17-2007 11:47 AM

Hey husband of a Doctor Burton, what did it sound like when the engine turned over and fired for the first time? Did it make any strange sounds till the oil got pumping? Any smoke in the tail end?

Don't worry about the 19" they ride nice.

drburton 03-17-2007 12:01 PM

It actually started right up, no delay or anything. Just pushed the key over and it went, didn't apply gas either.

The engine sounded normal in idle but the exhaust was initially a bit white for a minute or so then went to normal.

I was surprised, thought it might take some work to get her started.

Rodger 03-17-2007 12:04 PM

I'm so jealous....it's still barely creeping into the 20s here during the day.

I'm still about a month away from putting the key to mine, and I expect lots of bad noises when I do.

porschegeorg 03-17-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnell!
I'm so jealous....it's still barely creeping into the 20s here during the day.

I'm still about a month away from putting the key to mine, and I expect lots of bad noises when I do.

Im a month away too. I cant wait to take pics of my GT3 bumper and skirts and show you all!! But that will have to be in April sometime.

Enjoy that 987, Doc!!!!

Adam 03-17-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drburton
It actually started right up, no delay or anything. Just pushed the key over and it went, didn't apply gas either.

The engine sounded normal in idle but the exhaust was initially a bit white for a minute or so then went to normal.

This is the 3rd 4 mo hibernation that my car has come out of and each time I'm amazed. It starts up and purs like it was driven last week and not even the usual white smoke at start up. These cars are so easy to store with just a few precautions. Glad to hear you broke it out and drove her.

EPIQTodd 03-17-2007 01:15 PM

Is that a blue top? Looks great, either way.

joshuaalbert 03-17-2007 01:49 PM

Brought mine out from hibernation today and took her for a spin. Other than the white exhaust, no problems whatsoever. I, too, would like to thank those that contributed to the post on winterizing.

djomlas 03-17-2007 02:32 PM

thats awesome, glad it all worked out for you.
boy am i glad i dont have to go trough that torture of not driving the box every day

z12358 03-17-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drburton

Did you push it forward in 5th gear to lubricate the cylinders first, or just cranked it up outright?

Z.

Adam 03-17-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
Did you push it forward in 5th gear to lubricate the cylinders first, or just cranked it up outright?

Z.

Without the engine and thus the oil pump turned on would this technique really work? Seems to me your just pushing a car with dry cylinders and bearings, but I'm probably wrong. I've honestly don't know.

drburton 03-17-2007 07:11 PM

I tried the push it in gear thing but I'm not sure if I really got it to move far enough to matter. So not really sure if that made a difference or not.

Probably moved it a foot or so.

MNBoxster 03-17-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Without the engine and thus the oil pump turned on would this technique really work? Seems to me your just pushing a car with dry cylinders and bearings, but I'm probably wrong. I've honestly don't know.

Hi,

It's purpose is not to lube the motor, but to insure that nothing seized up during storage. The torque of a Starter Motor is sudden and tremendous and can really mess things up if something did seize.

A friend with a Lotus Esprit once had a Piston Ring seize to the Cylinder wall over the winter. He went straight to the starter and the sudden torque ripped the Ring off the Piston and stripped the Ring Gear on the Flywheel - $5k for the rebuild.

Even moving it a foot or two is enough to get things moving before the Starter takes over...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

z12358 03-18-2007 11:16 AM

Thx Jim. Sorry for the wrong justification (lubrication). I planned to unwrap my Box out of hybernation this weekend but we got burried with snow and roads are full of slush and salt again. Next week, I guess.
Z.