986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   "spray on" radar blocker, anyone has tried? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10065-spray-radar-blocker-anyone-has-tried.html)

vouvoune 03-14-2007 07:00 PM

"spray on" radar blocker, anyone has tried?

I heard this ad on the radio about some spray which you apply to your license plate which make it non readable to radars...Usually if it sounds like it is too good to be true it probably is...I thought someone here must have tried it just for the hell of it...It is worth the shot I guess :)
The company claims that if you get a ticket they will pay it back...Anyone?

bmussatti 03-14-2007 07:28 PM

Vanessa, they use it here with great results:

kls 03-14-2007 07:32 PM

A news channel in Portland tested the claims and found that they were useless. A plastic license plate cover would probably be more effective - or just don't speed.

986 Girl 03-14-2007 07:46 PM

I believe there was an episode of Mythbusters that dealt with laser jammers and speed cameras (not sure if they tried them against lasar radars). Against speed cameras they completely failed.

alikhan78 03-14-2007 08:30 PM

Saw that episode as well, along with the blocking spray they also tested a few other items such as hair spray, saran wrap, and some see through distorting license plate cover, all failed. Even if it were to work, I'd hate to see the trouble you could get in to for attempting to block your plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986 Girl
I believe there was an episode of Mythbusters that dealt with laser jammers and speed cameras (not sure if they tried them against lasar radars). Against speed cameras they completely failed.

Bavarian Motorist 03-14-2007 08:49 PM

Even if it worked, I imagine it is highly illegal.

djomlas 03-14-2007 10:15 PM

there was a test the other day, you have to go past 170mph to not get cought on camera.
so either go 170 or 45, dont wanna get a ticket for going 160 LOL <--- that would suck

TriGem2k 03-14-2007 10:20 PM

LOL too bad the Boxster tops out at 167mph...

mach schnell 03-14-2007 11:39 PM

so, here's a quick lesson in the physics of optics: camera lenses are polarized - a feature utilized to eliminate glare. Well, here's a neat lil trick - if you take two polarized lenses and rotate them against each other - in other words, keep one fixed and rotate the other 0-90 degrees and look through the two lenses as you rotate them, you'll notice that less and less light is transmitted to the point that you reach 90 degrees and everything will be blocked out. Thus putting a polarized cover over your licence plate that has polarization running perpendicular to the camera lens will render a picture that is completely black. However, to the naked, non polarized eye, your plate is completely visible. So, a technique like this could keep you safe from traffic camera's. But radar guns aren't aimed at your license plate, they are aimed at your car and that is a different physics phenom involving velocity and light. to outsmart that you'd need the same paint that wonderwoman used on her lil jet...

CJ_Boxster 03-15-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach schnell
so, here's a quick lesson in the physics of optics: camera lenses are polarized - a feature utilized to eliminate glare. Well, here's a neat lil trick - if you take two polarized lenses and rotate them against each other - in other words, keep one fixed and rotate the other 0-90 degrees and look through the two lenses as you rotate them, you'll notice that less and less light is transmitted to the point that you reach 90 degrees and everything will be blocked out. Thus putting a polarized cover over your licence plate that has polarization running perpendicular to the camera lens will render a picture that is completely black. However, to the naked, non polarized eye, your plate is completely visible. So, a technique like this could keep you safe from traffic camera's. But radar guns aren't aimed at your license plate, they are aimed at your car and that is a different physics phenom involving velocity and light. to outsmart that you'd need the same paint that wonderwoman used on her lil jet...

I wonder if the negative would pick up on that? usually that was the trick with the plate blockers that did work but the tech would just refer back to the negative and send out the ticket.

cfos 03-15-2007 08:01 AM

"... you'd need the same paint that wonderwoman used on her lil jet..."

I've never understood the point of an invisible jet when you can still see wonderwoman... Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Likewise, how could she see the controls and fly the jet?

porsche986spyder 03-15-2007 09:28 AM

I have one of those curved-smoked license plate covers on my car. It is plastic. I few months ago, I went though a yellow light and it turned red as I went underneath it. It was at night and I noticed imediately a bright flash light up the entire area. I knew I was caught by a photocamera and that was the flash going off. I was worried until I got home and conducted the same test using my camera with the flash on. To my delite, the camera flash bounces off the plastic cover on the license plate therefore cancelling out ANY image. I took several pictures from different angles and the same results every time. It does really work. However, if it was during the day, the camera would not need a flash, so I may not be as lucky next time. So basically, if you take a picture of anything behind glass or plastic WITH A FLASH ON, the pitcure will NOT come out. Hope this helps. :cheers:

pauldee 03-15-2007 10:06 AM

This might be what you heard about:

http://www.laserveil.com/

It claims to reduce the effectiveness of LASER (not radar) giving your V1 more time to warn you. I'm not affiliated and have not used the product, I just ran across their webpage when I was researching Radar Detectors.

FrayAdjacent 03-15-2007 10:57 AM

I think whoever buys into that stuff has a sad lack of understanding about how RADAR works.

986 Girl 03-15-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I think whoever buys into that stuff has a sad lack of understanding about how RADAR works.

There's a sucker born every minute...

RandallNeighbour 03-15-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos
"... you'd need the same paint that wonderwoman used on her lil jet..."

I've never understood the point of an invisible jet when you can still see wonderwoman... Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Likewise, how could she see the controls and fly the jet?

Defeat the purpose? The purpose of that show for me as a young boy was to watch the hottest babe on TV do amazing things like fly in an invisible jet. Great looking AND technologically advanced! (Later on in life I figured out I liked the show because Linda Carter was a full-figured lady and I was entering puberty!)

If Linda Carter became invisible with the jet, I would have changed the channel.

Now that I defended that fascinating position about Wonderwoman, I must say that I've never been willing to pay $65 for a spray can of anything , even though a local Houston TV reporter found that laserveil does work and doesn't return a laser signal back to the gun from which it originated.

Now radar is a different beast altogether. Cops have told me the are trained to aim the radar at the license plate, but will use a headlight or the windshield if no plate exists. This is why Texas requires a front plate IMO.