986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Center Caps - Two Sources (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10059-center-caps-two-sources.html)

husker boxster 03-14-2007 02:49 PM

Center Caps - Two Sources

My chrome Carrera Ss are about a week out from arriving so now I've turned my attention to finding chrome center caps with a painted crest (non-black). I've located 2 sources and wanted to know if anyone has had good / bad luck with either. They are GMP and Booth Design. Both want $90 for a set, so reputation will be the deciding factor.

The wildcard is Booth also has a set that has chrome around the outside edge with a black painted circle and a painted crest. Somewhere I saw a pic of a wheel with a similar cap and it looked good. Might really set off my new wheels. Haven't decided yet....

Your input is appreciated.

boggtown 03-14-2007 03:17 PM

Im not sure but I think boothe is 90 a piece. So.... there is no real hard question there.

djomlas 03-14-2007 03:19 PM

congrats on new purchase.
mind sharing what made you go with chrome?

husker boxster 03-14-2007 03:53 PM

Jonathon - thanks for the heads-up. I just looked at GMP a little closer and theirs are $90 each also. Ouch!! Looks like my search continues...

dj - went with chrome b/c I thought it would look sharp with my Lapis blue. Plus you don't see Carrera Ss in chrome very often. I like to be different.

boggtown 03-14-2007 03:59 PM

Well, if a new set will cost 400 (it hurts to say that), might as well go the extra 200 for the no turn center caps. Ive wanted those for a while now, but alas, no tengo dinero.

husker boxster 03-14-2007 04:14 PM

Not sure I want to lay out that much for center caps. Wheel Enhancements has a set for $280. At the moment, that looks like the lowest price.

Allen K. Littlefield 03-14-2007 05:56 PM

Good grief! Check out ebay for center caps. I got all 4 for about $89.00 plus shipping. $400. for center caps, good grief !!!!

986geezer :eek:

djomlas 03-14-2007 06:03 PM

thats just throwing your money away man, really.
dont the wheels come w centercaps? i hope they do w some kind, if they are not colored, then by god man get some paint for $2 and color them in

Perfectlap 03-14-2007 07:14 PM

hmmm...
I was thinking about having my hood crest chromed and then painting in the red and black myself.

986speedster 03-15-2007 06:27 AM

Husker, what are you doing with your 18'z???

RandallNeighbour 03-15-2007 06:34 AM

I found that eBay sellers are buying center caps (chromed and painted) from Sunset and reselling them! The sales guy there told me he sells a dozen sets at a time to a handful of guys each month.

So, cut out the middle man and call Sunset. I had to buy a replacement cap and was astonished to find Sunset's prices were LESS than eBay on individual caps and whole sets.

They can order just about any factory center caps you want, and they have chromed ones in color and black only.

Tim Rogers 03-15-2007 01:52 PM

I called the local dealer here yesterday and he said he was giving me a deal on colored caps for $52 and some change each. ive seen them go for less on ebay.

husker boxster 03-15-2007 02:42 PM

OK, got some catching up to do...

DJ - the chrome Carrera S whls don't come with caps from Whl Dyn. The std finished ones do. :mad:

Allen K - there is an $80 chrome set on ebay that looks like what I want but they use 3 allen hex bolts to attach to the wheel. Not sure if that is a good system or not. :confused: Seems like they could fly off rather easily.

986 Spdstr - the SCIIs are now pulling winter duty. I have my Blizzaks mounted on them, thus the need for new whls and summer tires. I know these are nice whls for winter, but I wanted something in chrome for my other set and chrome doesn't do well in winter.

Randall - I called Sunset on Mon and again today to verify. They say they do not have a chrome cap with a painted crest. They have an all chrome cap with an inlaid crest that isn't painted. Didn't ask for price because that's not what I want.

RandallNeighbour 03-15-2007 06:42 PM

Tim, I bought colored crest, painted caps for something like 29 bucks each from Sunset. Chrome ones might be higher, but I just needed ones painted silver to match my aftermarket carrera lights.

Husker, I'll keep an eye out for you for those colored chrome caps... what's the price to beat?

husker boxster 03-16-2007 03:25 AM

Hi Randall

The lowest new price I've found is $280 at Whl Enhc. Not opposed to a used set, have called LA Dism & Ok For. Took a while for the guy at LA to understand what I wanted. He said they would call back, but they didn't. OkF said they didn't have any.

Appreciate the assist.

Terry

RandallNeighbour 03-16-2007 06:46 AM

I just called performance products to ask and they said they had "locking" chrome caps with colored crests for a whopping 323.80 a set!

I'll keep looking. That 280 price is looking better every minute! Do they have the two holes for removal?

I am not a big fan of the holes in the caps. It makes them very easy to steal with the end of a coat hanger. Then you see your caps on eBay...

husker boxster 03-16-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Do they have the two holes for removal?...

Yes, they do.

RandallNeighbour 03-17-2007 06:32 PM

I saw this on fleaBay tonight:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Center-Caps-Hand-Painted-Chrome_W0QQitemZ300090965612QQcategoryZ42614QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Ernie's Alloys (the lister in this auction) is a reputable source.