986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Could someone take a picture of the battery vent tube for me on a 986? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10025-could-someone-take-picture-battery-vent-tube-me-986-a.html)

90red 03-13-2007 06:08 AM

Could someone take a picture of the battery vent tube for me on a 986?

I recently purchased an 04 S with an aftermarket battery. They did not hook the vent tube up to the replacement battery. I have procured a vent tube kit for the Interstate battery, but I don't see where the tube kit hooks up to the factory tubing. I think it might have been removed. Could someone take a picture of where the tubing is, so I can verify that mine is missing? Thanks alot!

Tool Pants 03-13-2007 07:21 AM

Here it is hooked up to the side of a VW battery. On an interstate it goes to the midlle back of the battery using the black adapter tube.

90red 03-13-2007 08:28 AM

Thanks Toolpants, I'll take a look again tonight. I see the vent on the back middle of the battery, and I have the Interstate vent tube kit to hook up to the back of the battery, but I don't see the OEM tube that I connect to. I think they must have removed it when they replaced the battery for whatever reason. I'll see if I can find where the tube should be going through to the outside and I'll try to find a replacement tube. Someone suggested I can find some replacement tubing at Home Depot, and ideas on what size it is?

Tool Pants 03-13-2007 08:41 AM

I doubt if anyone bothered to remove the original clear plastic tube.

Most likely it was shoved out of the way. That is what I see on car with aftermarket batteries and no vent tube is used. Remove the cover next to the battery like in the picture and I bet you will find it there.

90red 03-13-2007 05:03 PM

Well, I just checked under the cover and there is no tube there. I don't see where it should even be.... Is this something I can get at the dealer? Thanks.

Tool Pants 03-13-2007 05:57 PM

Need to see a good picture(s) of your situation. No crappy cell phone pitures.

With the cover removed like in the picture I showed you.

90red 03-13-2007 06:59 PM

Toolpants, here is a picture. Let me know if you need a different angle. Thanks!

Tool Pants 03-13-2007 09:17 PM

I do not see the clear plastic battery vent tube in your picture???

So, I eat crow.

I see what looks like a silver aftermarket Sony cd changer but that does not count.

90red 03-14-2007 03:43 AM

Well, at least I'm not crazy... Maybe the dealer would know the part number for the vent tube. Where does the tube go through to the outside? I see in your picture it goes off to the passenger side, but I don't see any holes around there. And yes, it has a Pioneer CD changer that the PO installed.

Tool Pants 03-14-2007 08:03 AM

Are you sure it is not hiding under there?

This is the only dectent picture I have of the area. The picture was taken for another reason - not to show the routing of the vent tube. I have put yellow lines next to the tube. I also have an aftermerket battery and use the black rubber adapter tube.

It is just clear plastic tubing that you can buy at a hardware store.

It goes down in the fender area. I would have to look at 8 years of pictures to see if I have one that shows where it daylights. I remember a guy who raced his car relocated the tube because he said it was dripping acid on something.

I just cannot believe someone would yank it out.

Would like to know how the PO got that changer to work since youe 2004 is a MOST car and the only changer I know that will work with a MOST car is the CDC-4. What is the model number?

90red 03-14-2007 08:21 AM

I'll look a little harder, but I've been under there a few times to no avail. The PO installed a changer by replacing the stock CDR23 with a Pioneer AVIC-N1 (pop out screen). He is using the N1 to power the speakers. It did have the factory Bose Digital w/ Windstop package, but the amp in the front trunk is not hooked up to anything anymore. It sounds just ok, not much bass considering the door speakers and the rear "subwoofer". How much sound is supposed to be coming from the rear? Sound is coming from all speakers, but when driving the sound basically sounds like it is coming from the front. Is the rear only "fill" and the door speakers only put out a poor excuse for bass?

Thanks!