Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #1

Smile Oil Extractors-Anyone Used on 2005 or newer Boxster?

I would like to easily reduce an overfill of oil with an oil extractor vs removing the oil plug. Anyone know if this is possible on a 2005 :dance: Boxster.

fcohen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #2

People who tried this with the 986 were not able to get the tube down into the engine.

If you need to dump some oil you can remove the oil filter canister.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #3

I believe removing the filter amounts to about 1/2 to 3/4 quart, about whats needed. However, would the rest of the oil gush out?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #4

It is 1 1/2 cups - I measured it. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9454&hl=unapproved You would have to remove the cannister, dump the oil. Start the car so the cannister can fill up and check the level. If you want to remove more then you have to remove the cannister and repeat.

The filter is higher than the oil sump, so oil will not gush out.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #5

I appreciate your help. There is little info on this on the web.

It's a shame that an extractor oil removal approach doesn't sound like it will work. They are pretty inexpensive.

I understand this is the technique MB uses to actually remove the oil during service thier cars. It looks alot cleaner.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Mercedes does do it this way, but the engine set up is different than a Boxster. We fill up in the trunk via a long corregated tube that snakes around to the crankcase.

If you have this thing then give it a try. Don't know anyone who has tried on a 987. But a 987 is like a 986 except for the dipstick. Would also like to see someone try this on a 2007 because the oil fill port changed to be like a Cayman.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #7

Tool Pants : I saw your post on another car with 27K engine replacement and concerns over oil fill levels. I baby my 2005 Boxster S. I think alot of folks might be comfortable if they could simply extract any excess oil topside for peace of mind.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #8

I thought I would inset a picture of the car; I noticed you inserted the oil measurement photo. How did you insert or attach the photo in the thread?
Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #9

When you click on the reply button there is another button called manage attachments.

I do not know of any engine failures related to the oil level or what oil is used.

Your car may not be overfilled as much as you think. New owners think each segment on the oil level display is a quart, but each segment is a much smaller quantity. But I do not know how you are reading the oil level.

If you had way too much oil you would know right away as it would get sucked into the intake and have clouds of smoke behind you. If you have been driving around with no problems then you might just leave things as they are.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #10

Thanks for the help. If you hear of anyone who has sucessfully used one of these extractors on a 2005 or newer Boxster, I think alot of folks would be interested.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #11

Hi,

Not relevant to the 987, but I have corrected an Oil overfill in my 986 using a Mity-Vac w/ Brake Bleeder attachment and some narrow surgical tubing through the Dipstick Tube.

+1 w/ Tool Pants on overfill. Boxster Owners need to be less obsessive about keeping the Oil constantly topped up.

Each hashmark on the gauge represents about 8oz. or a Cup. Anything in the OK range is just that - OK. There is no More OK or Less OK so long as you're in the OK range.

With almost 10 Qts. of Oil in the Quasi-Dry Sump system, there's no chance of Oil Starvation in Normal driving so long as you remain in the OK range.

Obsessively trying to keep the Oil topped up is what causes so many frequent overfills. And remember, fill to the second Bar from the Top - the Top Bar is overfilled...

Happy Motring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 09:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #12

Thanks. Only problem is 2005 and newer eliminated the dipstick tube entirely. Oil would need to be removed via the oil fill tube, if this has any access directlty to the sump oil.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #13

As an inveterate MB fan I too like the oil extraction method that is employed. I could literally change oil and filter on my diesel MB's in a jacket and tie. No muss no fuss.

But be careful out there! I once tried to use my oil extractor on one of my Fords, the dipstick tube passes very close to the exhaust manifold. Luckily I pulled the extractor tube out before it melted inside my dipstick tube.
Rick Lindquist
ricklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #14

Thanks. I think access via for the oil extraction tool via the oil fill tube is limited because it takes a hard turn on the newer Boxsters. Anybody else had any experience here.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcohen12
Thanks. I think access via for the oil extraction tool via the oil fill tube is limited because it takes a hard turn on the newer Boxsters. Anybody else had any experience here.
Hi,

Before taking the plunge on an extractor, buy 3-4' of Nylon Surgical Tubing and see if you can get it into the Sump from the Filler Tube. Cutting the end at an angle might help get it past any bend.

Personally, since the Cartridge Filter is not accesible from the Top of the Engine, I don't think it's that big a deal to simply drain the Oil from the Sump for an Oil change, but for accidental overfill, it would be more convenient. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #16

Thanks. I'll look into the surgical tubing.

Both the Porsche dealerships are 40-50 miles from my home plus scheduling and wait.

The real kicker here is that I am spending $200 at an alternate Porsche dealer to do LOF at a 5000 mile interval (vs 20,000 spec) for a warm fuzzy that my car is in top shape.

After this LOF, this dealer tells me their policy is to simply add 9 qts vs the 8.2 quart spec /with filter changeout. This is showing overfill on my electronic register.

By contrast, my original servicing dealer's policy is to add only 8 quarts followed by any additional oil after the engine is run and the oil level checked.
They're concerned that some oil may stay in the system making it .8 qts overage plus the unaccounted for residual engine oil.

This is why a simple way (extractor) to remove any oil overfill seems like an attractive idea.