986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Tire Valve Caps (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/8688-tire-valve-caps.html)

boxsterboy9 12-20-2006 06:58 AM

Tire Valve Caps

I am looking for a set of 4 tire valve caps with COLORED Porsche Crest on them. Got a set from Porsche but the whole cap including crest was silver. Couldn't even see the crest. Thx.

SD987 12-20-2006 08:43 AM

Jerry, don't forget to carry the OEM rubber ones with you in the glove compartment so you can put them back on when the crested ones get stolen.

The stealing and reselling of upgraded valve caps is a four billion dollar a year industry.

dcporsche99 12-20-2006 09:59 AM

That's a good point. Actually, I saw one on Ebay a while back that apparently lock. I don't know what mechanism is used for this, but maybe that could be a better option. But seeing that you've purchased them already, another idea could be to have them on while you're driving and when you park your car, switch back to the 'ol black plastic ones (although that may defeat the purpose of having them anyway, but it might be a better solution then to have them stolen from you)....unless of course, you don't care.

RandallNeighbour 12-20-2006 10:21 AM

It ain't legal, but it sure would be fun to park the car, sit in a remote location with a pellet gun, and plunk every little kid who tries to steal them.

It's usually 12 year old boys doing this sort of thing. They think the logo is cool.

And to answer the question, you can buy them off ebay, but I'd call Sunset in Oregon and ask because they can often sell these kinds of things for even less.

dcporsche99 12-20-2006 10:28 AM

Good one Randall!! LOLOL!!! :D I was thinking more along the lines of having a blow horn (like the one's they use at soccer matches) that would go off when the little booger of a kid touched it!! But that idea is definitely funnier than mine!

Porschekid 12-21-2006 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
The stealing and reselling of upgraded valve caps is a four billion dollar a year industry.

I'm thinking that figure is a little exaggerated. :p

bmussatti 12-21-2006 05:49 AM

Santa gave me these caps last year! Mine have never been stolen.

bmussatti 12-21-2006 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryc09@webtv.net
I am looking for a set of 4 tire valve caps with COLORED Porsche Crest on them. Got a set from Porsche but the whole cap including crest was silver. Couldn't even see the crest. Thx.

Hi Jerry,

Buy these:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =PNA70500xxx&Category_Code=987wheels

RandallNeighbour 12-21-2006 06:38 AM

$14 a set. That's a good price... just $3.50 each or the price of a hamburger and fries. So when a kid steals them, it will only be like losing a dinner at McDonalds for a family of four.

bnorman 12-21-2006 03:58 PM

I bought the locking kind on Ebay for $14 including S & H from some guy in Brazil. (Brazilianking--no longer a registered user.) You carry a set screw on you key ring and screw it into the side of the cap to take them off and put them on. Withour the set screw the top rotates without the threads. Secure but it's a real PIA! I took them off and put the easy to steal versions.

Grizzly 12-21-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryc09@webtv.net

I have a set like BNorman is describing with colored crests and the locking thing. I took them off when I changed wheels. I'll have to go to the dungeon to see if I can find them. Shoot me a PM if you want them.