986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Scammers and such? RomanFolly (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/78699-scammers-such-romanfolly.html)

tonythetiger 09-09-2020 05:01 PM

Scammers and such? RomanFolly

A question to those that have purchased stuff by forum.
Have you been scammed (or approached by someone you think is a scammer) offering parts?

I was PM'd on my "WTB Stock exhaust" and I recognized the photo as an exhaust someone I know is selling on ebay. (This wasnt him) He joined the forum a few days ago, no posts and now this.
Just noticed he pinged me for the coolant flange post a couple of days ago as well.

If he is legit, no harm intended, but RomanFolly is the name...be aware.

Marksman 09-09-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonythetiger (Post 624038)
A question to those that have purchased stuff by forum.
Have you been scammed (or approached by someone you think is a scammer) offering parts?

I was PM'd on my "WTB Stock exhaust" and I recognized the photo as an exhaust someone I know is selling on ebay. (This wasnt him) He joined the forum a few days ago, no posts and now this.
Just noticed he pinged me for the coolant flange post a couple of days ago as well.

If he is legit, no harm intended, but RomanFolly is the name...be aware.

So far he offered me a Lapis Blue 986 Hardtop for $475 in L.A.
Have requested pictures will see what happens.

maytag 09-09-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 624039)
So far he offered me a Lapis Blue 986 Hardtop for $475 in L.A.

Have requested pictures will see what happens.

Buy it COD.
he's a scammer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Marksman 09-09-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 624043)
Buy it COD.
he's a scammer.

Got pictures, top looks good. I have boots on the ground in L.A. no worries.

maytag 09-09-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 624047)
Got pictures, top looks good. I have boots on the ground in L.A. no worries.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

BUT! if you come back with positive results..... then you're the next suspect, haha.
I mean, you joined literally a week ago. ;-)

Marksman 09-09-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 624048)

BUT! if you come back with positive results..... then you're the next suspect, haha.

So you think I could ask for 10% to provide corroborating evidence to the contrary?
Retirement might just get way more exiting. :cheers:

maytag 09-09-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 624049)
So you think I could ask for 10% to provide corroborating evidence to the contrary?

Retirement might just get way more exiting. :cheers:

Hahaha. You'll do fine here. Hahaha

beater986 09-10-2020 01:48 AM

ANY of the "I know a guy that has this, email him" PMs are scams, just got another one here today:

johnwolhoy28

MY02 Carrera ii or a full set
Hey buddy friend of mine get that for sale..... kindly Dm jerryhardman0@gmail.com if you are interested....
Thanks!...

Sent from my itel W5001P using Tapatalk

Starter986 09-10-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 624048)

I suggest the new scam:

One guy joins the forum and participates under a variety of screen names.

You get that email that says "I've a friend with the part"... and the referrer has 4 posts and joined in September.

Then you get the threads like the one with the guy selling the top for $475 or whatever. "I'll send pics". He then logs on under another screen name saying "Yeah, I contacted him... foot on the ground... I'll keep you posted...".

Then... a week later we hear that the seller came through. $475 top. What a bargain. "Seller" has established credibility... people start sending money for parts... and get scammed.

I would suggest that a proper scammer would be on a variety of forums (i.e. Ford. Chevy, Honda, Mercedes, etc.).

The moderators should better vet new members going forward.

:cheers:

Just saying.

husker boxster 09-10-2020 05:53 AM

Scammers always change / alter their game. When selling a car, you constantly have to be on the lookout for the newest version. Regardless of the scam, I've found they NEVER want to talk to you on the phone in person but will text or email.

This grift version seems pretty logical when you think about it as a thief - easy to find a picture of what someone is looking for, "sell" it for a cheap price, get someone to send you the $$$, and move on to the next of a myriad of car forums for your next score or re-invent yourself on the same forum. They catch 'marks' by working on the person's greed and the thought that you have to move quickly or someone else will grab this great deal. If they keep their items in the $500-1000, they stay way below the radar as far as LEO is concerned. It's always been true, but more so today, esp if you have WTB thread: if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 624066)

Very true, but good luck with that here. I've been trying to clean up our Off Topic section of all the illicit phone offers. I've marked all the threads with the report button, I've sent emails to Dmitry and Luccia, but neither one has responded or seems to care. The more they allow this to continue, the more emboldened the scammers become.

beater986 09-10-2020 06:07 AM

Yes, which is why you should be reverse-google-image searching ANY images for goods allegedly for sale.

maytag 09-10-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 624066)
I suggest the new scam:

One guy joins the forum and participates under a variety of screen names.

You get that email that says "I've a friend with the part"... and the referrer has 4 posts and joined in September.

Then you get the threads like the one with the guy selling the top for $475 or whatever. "I'll send pics". He then logs on under another screen name saying "Yeah, I contacted him... foot on the ground... I'll keep you posted...".

Then... a week later we hear that the seller came through. $475 top. What a bargain. "Seller" has established credibility... people start sending money for parts... and get scammed.

I would suggest that a proper scammer would be on a variety of forums (i.e. Ford. Chevy, Honda, Mercedes, etc.).

Just saying.

Yeah, I don't think "Marksman" is a scammer.... I mean.... Who'd EVER say they're from Idaho if ti weren't true?

Starter986 09-10-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 624074)
Yeah, I don't think "Marksman" is a scammer.... I mean.... Who'd EVER say they're from Idaho if ti weren't true?

LOL! Right?!

husker boxster 09-10-2020 02:12 PM

***Update***
Dmitry just contacted me and is aware of the spam issue.

Marksman 09-12-2020 12:19 PM

Update on Hardtop

I asked RomanFolly for a place and time to inspect the top. That was 3 days ago......, no answer yet. Hmmm :confused:

beater986 09-13-2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Message: 18" MY02 Wheels
Yesterday, 10:41 AM
wilskev

18" MY02 Wheels
I know a friend willing to part with this item you can email him on jamespaul6321@gmail.com

Another scammer ...

ZDCATC 09-15-2020 04:04 PM

romanfolly is a scammer

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/beware-of-romanfolly.677862/

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14594.0

This is the private message I received from romanfolly in response to my WTB ad on this forum:

"Message romanfolly@gmail.com if you are interested okay

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk"

I asked him to post pictures on my ad (expecting him to ghost me or post pictures lifted from google). He ghosted me. I told the moderators. No response from them either.

19725346847 Barross5789 <-- added that so that it's googleable

thomas986 09-19-2020 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
add another one to the list.....

beater986 09-19-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas986 (Post 624590)
add another one to the list.....

Same bull**************** from same scammer..

Quote:

Private Message: 18" MY02 Wheels
Today, 05:44 AM
Barross5789

18" MY02 Wheels
I have it available,you can whatsapp or text me on +19725346847

beater986 10-01-2020 11:34 PM

Another one of these ****************************s