Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #1

Custom rear bike rack for 986 ($250 OBO, local to Denver)

I'm selling my custom made bike rack that was built for the 986 Boxster. I'm asking $250 cash, or would take $200 USD equivalent in bitcoin. (No other crypto accepted.) Local pickup only in the Golden/Denver, Colorado area. Not willing to ship. I bought this rack from a local engineer/welder a few years ago and used it routinely to haul road bikes, gravel bikes, and mountain bikes. The rack is very sturdy and actually looks pretty sweet. I still have the Boxster but picked up a Panamera Turbo with roof rails and new trays to haul my bikes around.

The rack mounts on two small receiver-type receptacles that bolt to the support behind the rear bumperettes. Those supports are aluminum so you have to remove the bumperettes, drill two holes in the support brackets, and bolt the receivers to the bumperette support. I have modified bumperettes that cover the receptacles pretty well for a clean appearance.

As the pictures show, the rack slides into the receptacles on the bumperette supports and I run a padlock through one of the pin holes. The rack rests on rubber pads that sit on the decklid. (Tip: I used a thick magnetic pad to protect the paint. Learned that the hard way!)

I have used different types of bike trays on this rack, as shown in the photos. The black trays are very lightly used fork-mount "Rocky Mounts" trays. I used those trays with the "Thule" wheel mounts also shown in the images below. I have also used Thule upright trays that allow the front wheel to stay attached. (Necessary for bikes with disk brakes.)

If the trays are mounted pretty far back, the convertible top remains fully operational with the rack attached and with bikes on the rack. It's easier with the Rocky Mounts trays, but possible with either one.

No joke, I've had bikes on the back traveling at 70+ MPH and the rack has remained stable. Not that I'd recommend that routinely, but I did a few out-of-state road trips with bikes on the back without incident.

What's included:
  • The custom bike rack (no trays)
  • The receptacles that bolt to the bumperette supports
  • Modified bumperettes to cover the receptacle mounts
  • Magnetic pad material to protect the decklid
  • Big ass "Sea Sucker" suction cup I used to provide forward stability

Optional items (at additional cost):
  • 2 Black "Rocky Mounts" bike trays with locks & keys (+$100 for both)
  • 2 silver "Thule" wheel fork mounts (for the removed front wheel; do not lock) (+25 for both)
  • 2 Silver Thule "wheel-on" bike trays with locks & keys (+$150 for both)

I'd be happy to help the buyer install the rack here at my home garage in Evergreen, CO if desired. Otherwise it's a pretty simple operation. Please DM me if interested. This stuff is just taking up space so I'd like to pass these on to a new owner at a fair price.

Attached Images

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote