986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Want to buy tarett front sway bar, or similar. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/76986-want-buy-tarett-front-sway-bar-similar.html)

maytag 01-10-2020 09:26 PM

Want to buy tarett front sway bar, or similar.

I see these come up used on occasion.... so I'm churning the water to see if anything floats up.

Looking for a quality adjustable bar.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Racer Boy 01-11-2020 09:09 AM

What do/will you have for the rear bar?

I upgraded to a Cayman rear bar, slightly stiffer than the stock base 2.7 bar, and then a M030 sport front bar. I didn't like it at the track; it was too neutral, the car lost it's "pointy-ness", the ability to get the back end to rotate slightly when backing off the gas at turn entry. It didn't understeer, but no more throttle-lift rotation. I ended up going back to the stock front bar, and the car regained it's throttle-steering wonderfulness.

My recommendation is to get a matched set of sway bars (and adjustable would be even better!). But you know that.

The Radium King 01-11-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 609798)
What do/will you have for the rear bar?

I upgraded to a Cayman rear bar, slightly stiffer than the stock base 2.7 bar, and then a M030 sport front bar. I didn't like it at the track, it was too neutral, the car lost it's "pointy-ness", the ability to get the back end to rotate slightly when backing off the gas at turn entry. I ended up going back to the stock front bar, and the car regained it's throttle-steering wonderfulness.

does it make sense to detune the front because you haven't properly tuned the rear? i never understood that approach. it's like de-powering the car instead of upgrading the brakes to make it stop better. to all their own i guess.

Racer Boy 01-11-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 609799)
does it make sense to detune the front because you haven't properly tuned the rear? i never understood that approach. it's like de-powering the car instead of upgrading the brakes to make it stop better. to all their own i guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by "de-tuning" the front. If anything, going back to the softer front bar increased the grip in the front, which I wouldn't call "detuning". If I detuned anything, it was the rear when I put the Cayman bar on the car.

The change I made only affected the behavior of the car on corner entry when lifting off of the throttle, and it wasn't that a large of a change. Steady state cornering felt almost identical to the car before I made the bar change. I would have been happy with the change to the stiffer front bar if the tracks I ran only had fast sweepers with fast entries to the turns.

We all know that sway bars are for tuning the balance of the car. The change I made wasn't like having a car that plows with a large amount of understeer, so you put a stiff rear bar on the car. That takes grip away from the car at the rear, but balances the cornering behavior of the car at the expense of total grip. The tuning that I did made a subtle change in the behavior of the car in a specific cornering situation. I'm happy that we have cars that are relatively responsive to subtle changes in suspension tuning.

Keep in mind that I primarily use my car for street driving, so it isn't set up for ultimate track performance. I'd be taking a different approach to the suspension if the car was going to be a track rat. Because of that, I'm mixing and matching parts from different Porsche suspension packages. I have the ROW M030 springs and shocks, so I have tried a rear Cayman bar, which from what I understand is close to a M030 rear bar. Ideally, I should get a rear M030 bar and put it one the car, and then put the M030 front bar back on the car. But I'm pretty happy with the car as it sits now. Plus I'm cheap and slightly lazy. ;)

The Radium King 01-11-2020 12:58 PM

stiffer sway bars reduce body roll. in the process, a stiffer front bar will increase rear traction proportionately over front traction. so, you lose some of that throttle steer that you like. in my mind, the solution is not to reduce rear traction by softening the front bar, but increasing front traction by stiffening the rear bar (or more front rubber, or adjust camber). i feel that the rear traction gained is beneficial on turn exit - you can get on the gas sooner and harder without swapping ends. i agree that a matched set is better, but not my budget to spend in this case.

Stroked & Blown 01-11-2020 05:14 PM

FYI the tarret front bar is the OEM 996 GT3 front bar part# 996-343-701-90
You will need different end links. Tarret endlinks are best. I cobbled together my own with high end Moog & QA1 components but would have done the Tarrets in retrospect for simplicity’s sake.