986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Putting a feeler out there... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/73541-putting-feeler-out-there.html)

Starter986 10-18-2018 11:24 AM

Putting a feeler out there...

With my top up, and a pair of speakers sitting on the rear shelf, the wind deflector interferes with enjoying the sound. However, I don't have a bag in which to store it. I could wrap it in a towell... pillow case... or whatever, to mitigate scratching it. That easily scratched part is not inexpensive. That said...

I've considered fabricating a bag for the wind deflector. I'm thinking a reasonable heavy vinyl fabric shaped to the part, with a velcro fold-over flap. Maybe a zipper on top. Also, I'd consider velcro fasteners on the back of the bag to which it could adhere to a wall in the front or rear trunk/frunk.

The bag would be nicely sewn, and proportionate to the size of the wind deflector. It wouldn't look or feel cheap.

My inquiries:

Who would be interested in such a bag?

What would you be willing to pay for the bag? What would be the price point you believe would inspire wanting one?

What features would you like to see in the storage bag?

I've read some forum posts (here, there, and everywhere) and the demand is difficult to gauge. Thus, my inquiries.

Thanks!

rick3000 10-18-2018 12:32 PM

I made one when I got my car from felt lined vinyl that matched my interior leather, I have it fold over with velcro on one side. I would avoid a zipper to avoid scratching the plexiglass. I think a fair price point depending on the material would be in the $15-20 range. I think I spent about $8 to make mine. Good luck with the project! :cheers:

paulofto 10-18-2018 03:11 PM

As OEM the wind blocker came with a storage bag. I rarely take my blocker off but when I do I put it in the bag and store it in the spare tire cover front flap. The bag has a flap with velcro closure and so does the flap on the spare tire cover so all is secure.

grc0456 10-18-2018 03:48 PM

I’ve got an extra OEM storage bag, if you want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boxstard 10-18-2018 03:57 PM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by grc0456 (Post 581238)

I’m interested, if OP is not!

CBRacerX 10-19-2018 03:38 AM

Would like to get a bag, oem or otherwise. $25 seems a fair price point.

Starter986 10-19-2018 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grc0456 (Post 581238)

Thank you for the generous offer. I appreciate it. My post wasn't so much fishing for a storage bag inasmuch as "seeing" if it would be worth my while to fabricate the bag then selling it, and turning a little profit in the meantime. Thank you for the right of first refusal. I see that Boxtard is expressing interest, and he's a Michigan daily driver. Mine is a garage queen, so I believe BT to be more deserving. Likely he/she, as much as I, appreciate your generous offer.

The $25 price point causes me to opt out on a mass fabrication. If that wild hair up my, um, back resurfaces I may go to the local fabric store and scout some materials fashioning my own bag.

Thanks GRC!! :cheers:

Boxstard 10-21-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 581253)
Thank you for the generous offer. I appreciate it. My post wasn't so much fishing for a storage bag inasmuch as "seeing" if it would be worth my while to fabricate the bag then selling it, and turning a little profit in the meantime. Thank you for the right of first refusal. I see that Boxtard is expressing interest, and he's a Michigan daily driver. Mine is a garage queen, so I believe BT to be more deserving. Likely he/she, as much as I, appreciate your generous offer.

The $25 price point causes me to opt out on a mass fabrication. If that wild hair up my, um, back resurfaces I may go to the local fabric store and scout some materials fashioning my own bag.

Thanks GRC!! :cheers:

Thanks for getting me in front of the line, but I just bought a yard of grey felt to cover up my home brew GT3 console delete pieces and my wife is willing to make a bag out of the leftover material, so I'm all set. I'm not ready for winter just yet.... But I'm gonna install hardtop probably this count weekend, removing the deflector and also the soft top assembly to redo the plastic window.

black6speed 10-21-2018 06:36 PM

grc0456, I will take the storage bag if no one else needs it.

grc0456 10-22-2018 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black6speed (Post 581397)
grc0456, I will take the storage bag if no one else needs it.

It's yours. PM me your address. As long as it's in the lower 48 USA, don't worry about the cost of mailing - I'll help a member out.