986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Hard Top Swap Lapis Blue for Silver or Black (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/68958-hard-top-swap-lapis-blue-silver-black.html)

boscoitalia 09-15-2017 07:15 AM

Hard Top Swap Lapis Blue for Silver or Black

I have recently come across a minty fresh Lapis Blue hardtop for my 986.

My car is arctic silver. - see where this is going?

you have a silver or black top on your lapis blue? want the right color? Live in the Bay Area (SF -San Jose)???

is yours as nice as mine so we can do a straight swap?

lets do this!

email me at boscoitalia at the amazing gmail service dot com.

I have pictures but come on, its a hardtop in lapis blue. and there is not a scratch on it.
you know what that looks like.

jakeru 09-15-2017 08:39 AM

In greater Seattle area, I have an ocean blue metallic 986 hardtop, in excellent condition, I think it's 2000 "S" spec, which means it doesn't have the early-style side pods, and the S spec gives it "titanium" trim around the rear window. Recently I also 3-stage cut/polished/sealanted the paintwork to perfection!

Although the Ocean Blue metallic match is fairly close to my lapis blue Boxster, I'd consider swapping for a nearby minty condition lapis blue hardtop.

But OP, it's not the color you want, but I add this here in case we find a third party (has silver or black top to trade, seeking ocean blue metallic but not lapis blue.) Might be a long shot, but I figure I'd float it out there. Cheers,

steved0x 09-15-2017 09:20 AM

I have a Silver hardtop in FL, and my car is Ocean Blue, but my hard top has a small indentation on the top, and shipping would kill us all. It is the later style with no "Ears" however.

It costs around $200 to freight ship a pallet with 4 wheels and tires just in the eastern US, so I imagine a hardtop might be even more and going cross country even more...

boscoitalia 09-15-2017 09:31 AM

I am wanting to swap - because the top is too nice to squirt with paint.
Shipping would be a lot. I picked this one up in Mountain View.

I was thinking also to do the flat black rubbery peel paint from the auto parts store.

it would just be easier to have a color that matched (or black because that matches everything)

JBauer 09-19-2017 07:41 PM

Just though id throw this out there. The website below connects truckers with people wanting larger parts shipped long distances. Kind of like thst show Shipping Wars. I bought a hardtop thst was a 10 hour drive each way and planned on renting a truck to go get it. Found this site, put in the info and within 15 min got a bid of $200. That was cheaper than renting a truck and the gas, and a hotel room because there is no way I could of driven there and back straight through. It was pick up the next day and delivered the day after that. He was hauling a large boat from California to Maine traveling right by the sellers town and my town on I-70. He does this all the time to make extra cash.
He did tell me I did it wrong by taking his bid immediately though. I put in all the info on Labor day. He said normally there are 4 to 10 trucker bidding on most of the pick ups. He said on a normal day I probably would of gotten it done cheaper if i would of waited on more bids.

https://www.uship.com.

You put in all the info, it stay up for a week. No charge. If you don't you don't accept any bids or youdo It can be canceled at anytime. No obligation.

78F350 09-20-2017 09:51 AM

+1 for UShip. I have used them several times for cars and once for an engine. There are cheaper ways - most of the haulers I've had said they will do loads cheaper in the future if I call them directly, but the process with UShip is simple, and (so far :dance:) safe and reliable.

You may also be able to find a Freight Broker to work with directly. Forum member Antny arranged some loads for me at a discount, but we have lost touch since he sold his Boxster and got a C6...

Xpit77 09-21-2017 03:53 AM

Mine is Balsamic black, before it was silver , before that red .

jrgill 09-24-2017 07:40 PM

Wish you were closer. I’m on the opposite side of the country. Sounds like your hardtop is is great condition. It would be a good match for my lapis blue 986.

Joe

kirkandorules 09-25-2017 06:12 AM

Any chance you'd be willing to sell the top? I'll be in San Jose next week, and I suspect that I'd consider it "close enough" to my ocean blue.