Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Talking WTB - Passenger Airbag Deactivation Bar

I've got a 2001 Boxster and you know that point you reach when you consider every additional $$ that goes into a car - well, I've far exceeded that point. More $$ into the car or get a new car?

I do everything to keep the car running and it still provides great joy each time I drive it.

What I am facing now -

I have a baby on the way and want to keep the car. As I mentioned above, I consider every $ that I put into the car now.

Upon calling the dealership, I was told to get the deactivation bar with installation will cost me $500. Then I'll have to get a special car seat.

--I've done a bit of investigating as I do with all of my DIY projects and found there are switches you can buy or make to deactivate the passenger airbag, but frankly, with the life of my baby on the line, I am just not comfortable with that option.

So, if it would bring joy to your life by providing me the opportunity to keep my Boxster and have a passenger deactivation bar you want to get rid of - let me know!

:dance:

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Deactivation Bar

I have the deactivation bar and the Porsche Zoom boaster seat (not for infants but 3-6 year olds, nice because it folds for easy trunk storage). $250 including shipping to Atlanta and it yours. Porsche used to have to install it free 15 years ago when I bought it, but not sure about the legal requirements now.

If you want a picture of the seat let me know. email mark.harper@dssah.daicel.com

Last edited by mpchipster; 10-06-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Add email address
mpchipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Basically when you buckle up the belt on the bar, it changes the registance of the circuit to diactivate the airbag. I think DIY mod to just solder a couple of registers and a switch to the wiring harness behind the seat is as low risk as you work on brake, IMHO. I did it and no issues, then sold the bar which is basically not that useful unless I get a Porsche child seat with right buckle. Any mulfunction in the airbag circuit will trigger the dash light so you would be warned. However, you need the dealership to program the airbag module, the bar or register/ switch hack is not plug'n play...
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 AM   #4

boxster child seat airbag disable kit

i was just digging through my old parts and found a kit. comes with a vhs tape. Not sure if it works. I got it for my 2002 boxster s and never installed because i sold car. looks like it has a bar and some buckles with it. not sure what its worth but i remember they are very expensive. make me an offer. I can try to add a pic later. thanks John
Im in massachusetts

WYZGUY2001 is offline   Reply With Quote