986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   WTB: Passenger side Litronic head lamp. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/64667-wtb-passenger-side-litronic-head-lamp.html)

ryanjboutin 12-13-2016 08:12 AM

WTB: Passenger side Litronic head lamp.

Disregard.

Trendy996 12-13-2016 01:24 PM

I have a set but, I'm not willing to separate them

Xcellr8 12-14-2016 06:05 AM

I've got a couple, but I don't understand what you really need. Are you saying that you have parts from a broken headlight that you can transfer to one with a good case and lense? If so, then I suppose a complete and working unit doesn't make sense for you. I am also confused about why you are willing to "trade in" your old light? What is wrong with it?

Thanks, Joe

ryanjboutin 12-14-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcellr8 (Post 519484)
I've got a couple, but I don't understand what you really need. Are you saying that you have parts from a broken headlight that you can transfer to one with a good case and lense? If so, then I suppose a complete and working unit doesn't make sense for you. I am also confused about why you are willing to "trade in" your old light? What is wrong with it?

Thanks, Joe

My unit works fine, as far as the lights and ballast go.
One of the adjustment cogs, for aiming the light beam, is physically missing, rendering my passenger head light useless because the beam is not usable for seeing at night.
The light pattern looks like I have a headlight out, even though it is lit.
Know what I mean?

I'd like to buy a gently used passenger side whole unit.

Sometimes people like to take apart lights with good projectors and retro them into other lights.
IE fog lights for vehicles and motorcycle headlights.
That's why I would trade it away, as a project for someone else that doesn't want to dismantle a fully functional light.

Xcellr8 12-14-2016 06:39 AM

Oh, I understand now. Thanks. I'll get a couple of photos of what I have available and get back with you later today.

ryanjboutin 12-14-2016 07:02 AM

Thanks bud.

particlewave 12-14-2016 07:17 AM

What do you mean by "adjustment cog"? The small white bevel gear? I've got a crap ton of parts if you can post a picture of what is broken/missing and are interested in repair.

ryanjboutin 12-14-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 519493)
What do you mean by "adjustment cog"? The small white bevel gear? I've got a crap ton of parts if you can post a picture of what is broken/missing and are interested in repair.

I think maybe that's what it is called. lol

Side note: I was texting Woody yesterday, he mentioned you may have done a retrofit in these headlights.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1481733214.jpg

particlewave 12-14-2016 08:04 AM

Yeah, I have some of those. They are held in by the frame for the adjustment worm gears. Your frame may be broken, causing it to fall out.
I may have a spare frame, too, but replacing it would require disassembly of the headlight. I can send you the parts of you want to try to fix it. Alternatively, you could send me the headlight and I'll fix it for you.

You could just pop a new bevel gear in, but it may fall back out if the frame is broken.

ryanjboutin 12-14-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 519505)
Yeah, I have some of those. They are held in by the frame for the adjustment worm gears. Your frame may be broken, causing it to fall out.
I may have a spare frame, too, but replacing it would require disassembly of the headlight. I can send you the parts of you want to try to fix it. Alternatively, you could send me the headlight and I'll fix it for you.

You could just pop a new bevel gear in, but it may fall back out if the frame is broken.

Would using a simple Krazy glue on the teeth fix it maybe?
...with a new piece, of course.

particlewave 12-14-2016 08:22 AM

If you glued it, you wouldn't be able to adjust it. ;)

However, unless something else is broken inside, you could just use the bevel gear to make the adjustment then remove it and store it away for future use. The worm gear will stay in place once adjusted (the bevel gear doesn't hold anything in place, just used to turn worm gear).

If the beam is aimed to the extreme up or down position, someone may have tried to adjust it too far, causing the worm gear to jam and pop the bevel gear out. If that's the case, disassembly may be required.

If you want to give a new (used) bevel gear a try, PM me your address and I'll ship one out today as I am already going to the PO to drop off some packages. ;)

ryanjboutin 12-14-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 519512)
If you glued it, you wouldn't be able to adjust it. ;)

However, unless something else is broken inside, you could just use the bevel gear to make the adjustment then remove it and store it away for future use. The worm gear will stay in place once adjusted (the bevel gear doesn't hold anything in place, just used to turn worm gear).

If the beam is aimed to the extreme up or down position, someone may have tried to adjust it too far, causing the worm gear to jam and pop the bevel gear out. If that's the case, disassembly may be required.

If you want to give a new (used) bevel gear a try, PM me your address and I'll ship one out today as I am already going to the PO to drop off some packages. ;)

I meant glue the bevel gear in place. lol
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, wouldn't be the first time.

Sent you a PM.

Xcellr8 12-14-2016 11:58 AM

Photos, if you, or someone else, is interested

Passenger side (right side for those on the other side of the pond) used Porsche factory litronic headlights for sale. Below are two examples. One, appears to have had the lens cleared and re-coated. The other could use that service. The one that is more clear has a broken plastic tab that holds the ballast, so it is now held with a screw. The rubber seal surrounding the other headlight has deteriorated. Both work, both have bulbs.

$375 each payment via PayPal
Shipping to your confirmed address via UPS ground.

Sorry the picture is updside down, but you get the idea
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1481748874.jpg
Shows screw holding back on
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1481748946.jpg
Shows rotted rubber
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1481748958.jpg

particlewave 12-14-2016 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 519495)
Side note: I was texting Woody yesterday, he mentioned you may have done a retrofit in these headlights.

Yes, I did. There is no way to mount aftermarket projectors into Lits, so I mounted the projectors into standard halogen reflectors, then swapped the entire assembly into the Litronic headlights, replacing the Lit reflector/projector assembly.

They were for a 996 Carrera and were the best of both worlds: The higher output of true bi-xenons coupled with the self-leveling of Lits. ;)