Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

WTB Durametric Cable

if anyone has one with at least one VIN left they are trying to get rid off.. before i go ahead and buy it from Durametric.

i called them about refurbished cables and they sell them for 217$ when they have available but they go quick and there is no way to know unless you call.

i just missed a chance this morning when they just sold one.

thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

I don't understand , if they are really making these cables there should be no shortage
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #3

There is no shortage with durametric for the new cables for 300$ it's the refurbished ones for 217$ that are in short supply. I tried here in case someone happened to sell a cheaper one but i ended up buying full price for 300$ from durametric. It will pay itself off in time
Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #4

Sounds like you are trying to be cheap, I don't blame you as I don't like to part with my money if I don't have to. Buy one of the Chinese knockoffs for $20, roll the dice, some of them work just as good as the original so for $20 you just might be all set. I have a Chinese version of Vagcom for my Audi and it works flawless, also have some of the "factory" manuals for my Audis and Mercedes that really are PDF files of factory service manuals, all told I have less than $100 and have cables and manuals for all my fancy German cars that people think are mystical to diagnose. As a matter of fact I am going to order one of the knockoff Durametric cables, if it works well I'll post the link, as should others, to who we get a knockoff from that works well.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #5

Heck yeah I'm trying to be cheap if I can!
I already went and bought the original at full price though as I need the cable already.. I called durametric a few times and couldn't catch then with a refurbished cable. Please let us know how it goes with the knockoff, maybe it can help some people save some money!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
Heck yeah I'm trying to be cheap if I can!
I already went and bought the original at full price though as I need the cable already.. I called durametric a few times and couldn't catch then with a refurbished cable. Please let us know how it goes with the knockoff, maybe it can help some people save some money!
I wouldn't waste any money on a knock off to replace the functionality of a durametric, as a scanner maybe but there are plenty of those on Amazon. I used a VGate OBD2 scanner for checking codes and clearing them but the durametric has a myriad of additional features.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
GTsilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
I wouldn't waste any money on a knock off to replace the functionality of a durametric, as a scanner maybe but there are plenty of those on Amazon. I used a VGate OBD2 scanner for checking codes and clearing them but the durametric has a myriad of additional features.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
The "knock off" has the same functionality of a version 1 Durametric cable since it uses the Durametric software...quite a bit more than an OBDII scanner.

I bought the real deal so I don't fry my DME with questionable Asian electronics. Took 3 months of back and forth with Durametric to get it to work, though.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Durametric not very customer friendly.....or to me that is

I have a enthusiast version , while quite neat I would of course like more capability. Someone had posted that Durametric would upgrade your enthusiast cable to pro for $100 and so I was excited and was ready to throw money at them....I contacted them and got a very short terse response that they do not upgrade enthusiast cables and could I send them a picture of my cable.

I of course did not...even though I have a real Durametric....what happened to customer service and being nice.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote