Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

WTB center console in good condition

if anyone has a black console in good condition with no scratches for a 2000 base boxster i will gladly take it off their hands.

mine looks like a couple of cats had a fight to the death on it

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Garage
EBS sells an aftermarket on that's nice. $80 I think
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

You could try some wet sanding and then some of the Krylon plastic paint in flat or satin black
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have one but the shipping might be high, the box would pretty long.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

Garage
How difficult is it to replace it?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

THats a deal

Depending on shipping, I had never pulled mine until about 6 weeks ago, only about 4 screws and plenty online diagrams. I pulled mine to install a short shifter....a 1 banana job IMHO
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
You could try some wet sanding and then some of the Krylon plastic paint in flat or satin black
does that match the "soft touch" paint in the interior?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

I have no idea, but for $67 I would buy a new center console and just replace everything
Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
does that match the "soft touch" paint in the interior?
Man, am I glad that I don't have the painted interior bits in my '99. All color is in the plastic
Old 08-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #11

It's not too hard to replace. Be careful taking the shifter boot and side panels off though. The tabs on them love to break off.

I'm going to switch all the plastic interior pieces on my 2000 to the 97-99 plastic. I've never had a 2000-04 come in that didn't have scratched-up door covers and center console.

If you stripped that film off, you basically have the 97-99 interior. I have noticed that the film will somewhat peel off if its soaked in water for awhile. One of these days I was going to experiment on some interior pieces and find the easiest way to strip that stuff off. I'm thinking a light coating of paint stripper and a garden hose will take it right off.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #12
still plays with cars...

Garage
Woody,
Would you have a driver's side door handle like this one, but not all chipped up?

It's been bothering me for 4 years now...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #13
still plays with cars...

Garage
My bad, sorry for posting this here.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

I hear the trick is to wash the parts in the dishwasher if you want to strip the old coating.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #15

finally installed

i went ahead and got the ECS one for 60 bucks. it fit perfectly but it was a bit of a hassle from some points of view..

first of all the center console came off very easy! a few screws here and there, some masking tape to avoid scratches and out it went. didnt feel like removing the passenger seat is necessary. the tedious part is removing all the clips from the old console to put on the new one because all you get is a plastic shell with NOTHING on it.
with that done the next tricky bit was the arm rest lid which was riveted to the old one. i had to pull it off, drill holes in the new one and apply some crazy glue to it. it seems to have done the trick and it looks sturdy enough.

the biggest disappointment was that the new one didnt come with the hand brake cover, the part thats on the driver's side next to the seat where the seatbelt rubs against and mine is pretty scratched up. it continues to look like crap. also, the back covers, left and right of the arm rest compartment were not included either and those were pretty scratched up. those are somewhat hidden so i didnt care that much.

well..for 60$ its a huge improvement although it's not the same finish as the original, its a plastic finish but still way better than the old one and it wont scratch easily. i was told by ECS that it's not the OEM finish and color for my year, it was actually listed as being for a 97 model. the one for my 2000 was 260$. ummm.. no thanks!

thanks for the tips guys!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #16

i think i will try the dishwasher method on those 3 pieces to see if i can get the coating off.
will report back with before and after pics.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

You could always try painting your console. It's really fairly simple and you can even colour match them to your exteriour. Lots of threads on here as well as youtube vids on how to do this at home - especially since you have that old one now to play with. Good practice piece.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #18

while i like the painted consoles that i've seen i will keep mine black because i am horrible at painting and i've had too many "oh crap.." end results.

on another note i tried the dish washing method on the 3 pieces of trim that dont match and it didnt do anything to the film covering them.
next stop is acetone and if that doesnt work paint strip but this would be a last resort as i think it might be too strong for the plastic.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
while i like the painted consoles that i've seen i will keep mine black because i am horrible at painting and i've had too many "oh crap.." end results.

on another note i tried the dish washing method on the 3 pieces of trim that dont match and it didnt do anything to the film covering them.
next stop is acetone and if that doesnt work paint strip but this would be a last resort as i think it might be too strong for the plastic.
Do not use Acetone, it will permanently etch and cloud the plastic.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Do not use Acetone, it will permanently etch and cloud the plastic.
Good catch!
Paint stripping would be even worse then?