Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

FS: Softronic ECU tunning with Durametric Enthusiast cable - $750

I bought this a few years back when I had my Boxster and ended up never using it prior to trading in the Boxster for the family truckster (sad day). The one thing to notice is this is the Enthusiast cable from Durametric which allows up to 3 VINs to be registered for Durametric use unlike the current Softronic offering of the basic cable which only allows 1 VIN with the Durametric software. This was a special offer from Softronic several years ago that I took advantage of. This cable will also allow 1 ECU flash tuning from Softronic. The current Softronic cable package is $895 with the BASIC cable. This is more valuable IMO since it is the enthusiast cable from Durametric. Attached is a screen shot of the Durametric software showing cable status and no VIN's tied to it. I have also spoken to April at Softronic to make sure there would be no issues selling the cable and ECU tuning to someone else, and she said there is no problem and would even be willing to help out and answer anyone's questions if they had any. She also informed me that this cable and ECU package will work on other Porsches. I am honestly unclear on which models but I believe it was any model with a DME. Again, she can help clarify which Porsche's this will work on for those interested. Please feel free to PM or call me. I live in the Dallas, TX area.

I will also be posting some various other Boxster parts I still have as well.

eBay ID: greg_goff35oz

Thanks,
Greg
(214) 649-2002 - Cell

Porsche Diagnostic Store | Durametric Software Products for Sale

Porsche 986 Boxster Performance Software Tuning Flash

Last edited by McLuvin; 04-06-2015 at 05:32 PM.
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

does it work for a 986 s 2000???
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

Yes, according to Softronic. This is from their web site:

"Porsche Performance Tuning, Software and Parts for the Porsche 986 Boxster from 1999-2005."

Model Base BHP Base Torque Tuned BHP Tuned Torque
2.7 liter 220 195 235 210
3.2 liter 252 225 267 240
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

I'll take it! PM coming your way!

- J.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
I'll take it! PM coming your way!

- J.
PM responded!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #6

***cable still available***

***CABLE STILL AVAILABLE***

Please NOTE:

- This cable has NEVER been used. There are NO vehicles tied to it from either Softronic or Durametric.

- It is brand new for all intents and purposes.

- This cable will allow you to flash tune your Boxster from Softronic:
"Porsche Performance Tuning Software for Porsche 986 Boxster from 1999-2005."

- It will increase your performance up to 15BHP and torque up to 15lbs.

From the Softronic website:
Model Base BHP Base Torque Tuned BHP Tuned Torque
2.7 liter 220 195 235 210
3.2 liter 252 225 267 240

- This cable was purchased directly from Softronic

- A lesser version of this cable is $900 directly from Softronic.

- The following FAQ from Softronic DOES NOT APPLY to this cable. This FAQ is only in regards to a cable that has been used previously to flash a vehicle.

"I sold my Porsche but bought another, can I transfer the flash?
Yes we do however you must contact Softronic directly and this offer is only available to customers who purchase a flash directly from us. This offer does not apply to any Dealer sold flash. The car will have to be flashed back to Original and verified by Softronic. The process will also incur the software price difference, Transfer Fee and cable if required.."

- April at Softronic can verify and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

- Please contact me if you have any questions.

- eBay ID: greg_goff35oz

Thanks,
Greg
(214) 649-2002 - Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
PM responded!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Greg,

Three questions:

1. The vehicles (VINs) get tied to the software not the cable correct? Do you have the drivers (assuming it is USB) for the cable? Who are the drivers from Softronic or Durametric?
2. Will this cable work with Softronic s/w only or will it work with Durametrics s/w too?
3. Assuming you have sold the Softronic s/w. How much are you asking for cable only? Could you post a pic?

The fact that the cable is never used we need to somehow be sure about the two points...

Let us know. Thanks.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

Hello,

Please see response below in red for each question:

1. The vehicles (VINs) get tied to the software not the cable correct? Do you have the drivers (assuming it is USB) for the cable? Who are the drivers from Softronic or Durametric? No, the 3 VIN's for the Durametric software use are tied to the cable. So it doesn't matter where you install the Durametric software at or how many times you install it. The software reads the cable for the stored VIN's. As seen in my original screen shot, you will see ZERO VIN's tied to this cable. I am not entirely sure how Softronic handles it though as I have never installed their software. I do have a message out to them to get more information on their process. The cable is USB and no special drivers are needed.

2. Will this cable work with Softronic s/w only or will it work with Durametrics s/w too? It works with both. Using this cable with the Softronic software will allow you to flash tune 1 vehicle only. More information is available at Softronic.com. In conjunction with the 1 vehicle flash tune from Softronic, you can also use this cable with the Durametric software on 3 unique VIN numbers. Each software is used completely independent of each other. The VIN you use for the flash tune with Softronic has no impact on the 3 VIN's allowed to use with the Duramteric software. The Duramteric software can be found here: Durametric Version 6 Downloads When you install the Durametric software and plug in the cable to your PC via USB, the cable will be recognized as a Duramteric Enthusiasts cable as seen in my original screen shot. You can read more here about the various Durmateric cables: Porsche Diagnostic Store | Durametric Software Products for Sale

3. Assuming you have sold the Softronic s/w. How much are you asking for cable only? Could you post a pic? Nothing has been sold. This is the same cable you would get from Softronic if you purchased it directly. They are currently selling a similar package for $895 as seen here: Porsche 986 Boxster Performance Software Tuning Flash. However, my cable allows for 3 VIN's with Duramteric where their latest cable only allows for 1 VIN use with Durametric. Both still allow you to flash tune 1 vehicle. You are paying for the flash tune programing that Softronic will provide once you use the cable. Installation instructions can be found on Softronic's website here: Softronic Software Installation

In short for the Softronic flash tune process, you install the software (found on the link above), attach the cable to your PC and then your Porsche, the software will read-out your current ECU and let you save it out, you send that to Softronic which will then evaluate your current setup and then create a flash tune based on that information, Softronic will send the flash tune to you, then you load the flash tune to your Porsche via the software and cable. You are paying for the cable that allows you to flash tune. This is where the 15hp and additional torque are coming from as noted previously.

Please let me know if you have any others questions or if I need to elaborate any further.

Thanks,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
Greg,

Three questions:

1. The vehicles (VINs) get tied to the software not the cable correct? Do you have the drivers (assuming it is USB) for the cable? Who are the drivers from Softronic or Durametric?

2. Will this cable work with Softronic s/w only or will it work with Durametrics s/w too?

3. Assuming you have sold the Softronic s/w. How much are you asking for cable only? Could you post a pic?

Please let me know if

The fact that the cable is never used we need to somehow be sure about the two points...

Let us know. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #9

Greg, Please provide an update when Softronic tells you how to properly sell and transfer your software licence. Will the softronic software work with a regular durametric enthusiast cable?
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

Hello...

Please note that there is no transferring of anything with this cable. You simply purchase the cable and use it as intended. Nothing has been recorded or stored anywhere with this cable. It was purchased from Softronic and I was going to use it on my Boxster but it ended up in a drawer due to life changes. I did not give Softronic anything but my credit card number and mailing address to send the cable to. They have no clue what vehicle I was going to flash as I never ran the software to send my ECU info to them. You only have to worry about a transfer if the cable you are interested in was actually used to flash tune a vehicle previously. When you flash tune a vehicle with this cable, you have to send in your ECU information to Softronic so they can customize a flash based on your vehicles configuration. All I am trying to find out from Softronic is how one can tell if the cable has not been used to ease any apprehension some may have in purchasing. The initial response I received from Softronic was that there was no simple way to check. I find that hard to believe and was hoping to get more information so no one feels like they have to take a leap of faith with this purchase. I know many of you are interested as this is the fastest and cheapest way to boost performance by these numbers for a Boxster so I am trying to get as much information as possible. I encourage anyone interested to please feel free to contact April at Softronic (number below). She has been most helpful in answering my questions. I would also be more then willing to help anyone with their flash tune to make sure they are getting what they paid for.

To answer your question "Will the softronic software work with a regular durametric enthusiast cable?", I honestly do not know but I really don't think it will work. Even if it does, Softronic will hit you up with a charge once you send in your ECU read out for tuning as the cable you are using will more then likely not show up as a valid Softronic cable. I believe the cable Softronic sells is a customized version of the Durametric cable that allows for both uses. It's a very good value if you want to flash tune your car and also use the Duramteric software for diagnostic purposes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.k View Post
Greg, Please provide an update when Softronic tells you how to properly sell and transfer your software licence. Will the softronic software work with a regular durametric enthusiast cable?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

Thanks for the info Greg.

I also heard back from Softronic also. The software works with any durametric cable. They also sell the software with a discount if you have your own durametric cable already. The cable that comes with the softronic tune is a durametric cable that the put their sticker on (as shown above).
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #12

Thanks Kevin for the info. Then it sounds like Softronic simply takes a Duramteric cable and then adds a software key to allow someone to flash tune their vehicle.

So the cable I have is a Duramteric Enthusiasts cable that also has a license built into it to flash tune a vehicle through Softronic.

If you already have a Durametric cable then you can buy a software code from Softronic that will allow you to use your cable for a flash tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.k View Post
Thanks for the info Greg.

I also heard back from Softronic also. The software works with any durametric cable. They also sell the software with a discount if you have your own durametric cable already. The cable that comes with the softronic tune is a durametric cable that the put their sticker on (as shown above).
Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #13

Sold

Item is sold - thank you.