986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   986-987 non-scratch polymer jacking pucks (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/25997-986-987-non-scratch-polymer-jacking-pucks.html)

sdlong329 09-01-2010 09:06 PM

986-987 non-scratch polymer jacking pucks

I am new to this forum ... suggested to me by a neighbor.

I had someone make up a batch of polymer, non-scratch jacking pucks for my Corvette. The jacking points on a C5 and most C6 Corvettes are identical to the 987 Boxster. My neighbor (987 owner) believes the 986 jacking points are identical to the 987.

http://www.auctionzealot.com/members...9/dsc06514.jpg

Anyway, I have extra pucks that I cannot use, so thought it would be a good idea to offer them to Porsche owners. I guarantee fitment for 987 ... and am 99% sure they will work on 986 bodies as well (I had someone e-mail me with measurements for the 986 jacking points, and they appear to work, without issue).

The sales pitch of polymer jacking points ...
1) Steel jacking points are heavy, and WILL scratch your car
2) Aluminum jacking points are not light, and will still scratch your car.
3) Metal pucks in general, do not have the ability to "bite" into a hydraulic jack
4) Delrin has a high tensile strength, but is not resilient, which can result in marring to the finish of your car. Since the tensile strength is very high, they do not have the ability to "bite" into a hydraulic jack
5) Ice Hockey pucks have no tensile strength. Over time, these pucks looks their composition, and run the risk of breaking ... especially if you drill / insert Home Depot hardware. Many people pick up ice hockey pucks at rinks ... who sell them for a buck or two ... because they are of no use once they loose their integrity.

For about the same cost as pucks (#1 - #4), you get a set of pucks that bite into your floor jack, while not scratching your car. There is a lifetme guarantee against manufacturer defects, and breaking.

MSRP of a set of four non-scratch polymer jacking pucks is $99.95. I can offer what I have for $69.95 / set of 4 (+ $6.95 USPS shipping - I accept PayPal). Again, I guarantee fitment for 987's. I will offer a discounted price to the first person with a 986, if they promise to confirm they fit properly (of course, money-back (plus shipping), if they do not fit).

Yes, I am new to this forum, but I have 100% feedback from 170+ transaction on eBay, as well as positive Forum feedback on CorvetteForum.com (C5 section).

If there are ANY issues with this post, PLEASE let me know.

ColinD 09-03-2010 01:01 PM

sdlong329,

I'm insterested in the pucks, and have a 986, do you still have them?

ColinD

JFP in PA 09-03-2010 01:34 PM

Why not just go to your local sporting goods oulet and buy four hockey pucks for about a buck each....................you can bugger up and throw away a lot of them before you get to $70..........

sdlong329 09-03-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Why not just go to your local sporting goods oulet and buy four hockey pucks for about a buck each....................you can bugger up and throw away a lot of them before you get to $70..........

Rubber has no tensile strength, and looses resiliency over time (which is why hockey rinks throw them away after time). Czech hockey pucks were never designed to lift a car, and are susceptible to breakage - especially when they age. Of course, you can use hockey pucks ... but you can also get a lube, oil & filter at K-Mart, use PepBoys tires, or WalMart wax & polish on your car. I think most people who have a Porsche are smart enough to recognize the difference in a quality product, versus an inexpesive substitute ... which is why they opt for premum products such as Meguiars, Zaino, Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, etc.

When you say BUGGER UP ... I am assuming you mean "damage" the pucks ... and hopefully not the car. The very idea that you recognize the pucks get damaged should tell you that the pucks are not strong enough ... and not designed to lift a vehicle.

Yes, you can spend less ... but having to repair the damage when (not if) the puck breaks will ultimately cost much more $. So tell me, how many Porsche dealers would YOU trust if they used hockey pucks to lift YOUR car? :confused: 'nuff said!

sdlong329 09-03-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinD
I'm insterested in the pucks, and have a 986, do you still have them?

ColinD

Hi Colin - Yes, I do have pucks remaining. PM sent. :cheers:

JFP in PA 09-03-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdlong329
Rubber has no tensile strength, and looses resiliency over time (which is why hockey rinks throw them away after time). Czech hockey pucks were never designed to lift a car, and are susceptible to breakage - especially when they age. Of course, you can use hockey pucks ... but you can also get a lube, oil & filter at K-Mart, use PepBoys tires, or WalMart wax & polish on your car. I think most people who have a Porsche are smart enough to recognize the difference in a quality product, versus an inexpesive substitute ... which is why they opt for premum products such as Meguiars, Zaino, Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, etc.

When you say BUGGER UP ... I am assuming you mean "damage" the pucks ... and hopefully not the car. The very idea that you recognize the pucks get damaged should tell you that the pucks are not strong enough ... and not designed to lift a vehicle.

Yes, you can spend less ... but having to repair the damage when (not if) the puck breaks will ultimately cost much more $. So tell me, how many Porsche dealers would YOU trust if they used hockey pucks to lift YOUR car? :confused: 'nuff said!

Well Steve, just to help put your tirade in perspective, I own a shop, and we specialize in Porsches, amongst other finer performance oriented brands. For thirty five years, I have used hard rubber pads and hockey pucks to protect the undercarriages of our customer’s cars from scratches or other damage while on one of the lifts, floor jacks, or sitting on jack stands. Over time, the rubber pads and pucks begin to wear, eventually needing to be replaced. However, never once, in all that time, have we ever had any problems with vehicles moving, shifting, or otherwise being damaged as a result of the pad/puck wear. And just as a by-the-by; I know of four major Porsche dealers, and about a dozen or so independents’ in your backyard that use rubber pads and/or hockey pucks for the exact same reason, as does your local Ferrari dealer.

Your plastic pads are over priced and totally unnecessary...........even if you are hyping them just about everywhere......

BYprodriver 09-03-2010 04:04 PM

'nuff said !

sdlong329 09-03-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Well Steve, just to help put your tirade in perspective, I own a shop, and we specialize in Porsches, amongst other finer performance oriented brands. For thirty five years, I have used hard rubber pads and hockey pucks to protect the undercarriages of our customer’s cars from scratches or other damage while on one of the lifts, floor jacks, or sitting on jack stands. Over time, the rubber pads and pucks begin to wear, eventually needing to be replaced. However, never once, in all that time, have we ever had any problems with vehicles moving, shifting, or otherwise being damaged as a result of the pad/puck wear. And just as a by-the-by; I know of four major Porsche dealers, and about a dozen or so independents’ in your backyard that use rubber pads and/or hockey pucks for the exact same reason, as does your local Ferrari dealer.

Your plastic pads are over priced and totally unnecessary...........even if you are hyping them just about everywhere......

Well, just to put things in perspectve, I have been working with MB & Corvette since 1977. For years, many shops will use proper (OEM) parts ... while many shops do what they can to cut costs, to try to turn a profit. Feel free to use what you want to use. However, Mercedes-Benz, Chevrolet, BMW, and yes, even Porsche DESIGN their cars with specific jacking equipment in mind. NOBODY, not even me, is telling you what you are supposed to use. That being said, it's great that there are several people confirming what I have said about the rubber degrading. So, while you may have never seen a puck or piece of rubber fail, IT DOES HAPPEN!

All that being said, while I am new to THIS forum, I would normally expect normal decorum. Most forums request that nobody hijacks a thread, and also mandate a good will policy or not interfering. As your mother used to say, if you don;t have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Nobody is saying you can't use a hockey puck. At the same time, you should not be trying to tell anyone what they can, and cannot use. You may prefer Mobil 1, someone else may prefer Castrol, but that does not mean only one person is correct. For anyone to tell another individual they cannot use Castrol is deplorable ... as if the only thing that matters is your own personal opinion.

So, if you use a hockey puck - great! However, with several people confirming their resiliency issues, if someone wants to use an alternate product - whether it is something you approve of or not - let them! There is more than three flavors of ice cream. If you don't like one - don't force it upon everyone else. Verstehen Sie?

I will post the link for tensile strength ... THEN let me hear what you have to say about the engineering. In the interim, if you must interject, please tell people how unnecessary it is to use Mobil 1, Pirelli, Michelin, or OEM parts. I mean, after all, a Porsche is really only a '63 VW bug at heart - right? A Carrera is really the same as a 924 - right? All cars with four wheels are 100% identical, and there is no difference other than the sum of their parts.

I was not on a tirade ... rather ... it seems as though at least one person feels it appropriate to set *their own* agenda, and wants to make sure everyone else agrees with their logic. Nobody asked for your input ... accordingly, your own input is unnecessary, and overpriced. For that matter, so is a Porsche. Nobody NEEDS a car ... and if they did ... they don't need a Porsche ... yet I'd think most people on this forum have a Porsche. Oh well, there's a flaw in your logic.

BTW - I do not have a local Ferrari dealer.

Check these links on Tensile Strength ... then tell me how wrong the authors and engineers are, and how a $1.29 Czech Republic piece of rubber has superior design and durability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

http://pslc.ws/macrog/mech.htm

http://www.juliantrubin.com/encyclopedia/engineering/tensile_strength.html

Frodo 09-03-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdlong329
Well, just to put things in perspectve, I have been working with MB & Corvette since 1977. For years, many shops will use proper (OEM) parts ... while many shops do what they can to cut costs, to try to turn a profit. Feel free to use what you want to use. However, Mercedes-Benz, Chevrolet, BMW, and yes, even Porsche DESIGN their cars with specific jacking equipment in mind. NOBODY, not even me, is telling you what you are supposed to use. That being said, it's great that there are several people confirming what I have said about the rubber degrading. So, while you may have never seen a puck or piece of rubber fail, IT DOES HAPPEN!

All that being said, while I am new to THIS forum, I would normally expect normal decorum. Most forums request that nobody hijacks a thread, and also mandate a good will policy or not interfering. As your mother used to say, if you don;t have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Uhh...maybe you should read more threads and posts on this forum. We, its members, approve of opposing views, if they are supported. We like making informed decisions and don't consider materials presented in opposition to an initial viewpoint as constituting a 'hijack' if they intelligently address the subject at hand.

Nobody is saying you can't use a hockey puck. Nor is anyone saying you must use one. At the same time, you should not be trying to tell anyone what they can, and cannot use. Again, I really don't think that happened here. You may prefer Mobil 1, someone else may prefer Castrol, but that does not mean only one person is correct. For anyone to tell another individual they cannot use Castrol is deplorable ... as if the only thing that matters is your own personal opinion. Again, you're confused...JFP likes Castrol...he wouldn't dream of telling someone they cannot use it. :p

So, if you use a hockey puck - great! However, with several people confirming their resiliency issues, if someone wants to use an alternate product - whether it is something you approve of or not - let them! He IS! We ARE! Use it, if you so choose! But be smart enough to listen to more than one side of the story before making that choice! There is more than three flavors of ice cream. If you don't like one - don't force it upon everyone else. Verstehen Sie?

I will post the link for tensile strength ... THEN let me hear what you have to say about the engineering. In the interim, if you must interject, please tell people how unnecessary it is to use Mobil 1, Pirelli, Michelin, or OEM parts. Various well-respected members here have, through the years, voiced well reasoned negative opinions some aspects of all of the above. Why, for example, pay top dollar for an OEM replacement part when an equally good one can be had for much less? That does happen, and I for one like to hear about peoples' experiences---good or bad--- using the less expensive replacement. I mean, after all, a Porsche is really only a '63 VW bug at heart - right? A Carrera is really the same as a 924 - right? All cars with four wheels are 100% identical, and there is no difference other than the sum of their parts.

I was not on a tirade ... rather ... it seems as though at least one person feels it appropriate to set *their own* agenda (The guy owns a repair shop...I'm pretty sure he's not selling hockey pucks on the side. He has NO pecuniary interest here!), and wants to make sure everyone else agrees with their logic. Nobody asked for your input (Read more threads in this forum---people ask for his opinion all the time!) ... accordingly, your own input is unnecessary, and overpriced. Incorrect---it's frequently helpful, and...it's FREE! For that matter, so is a Porsche. Nobody NEEDS a car ... and if they did ... they don't need a Porsche ... yet I'd think most people on this forum have a Porsche. Oh well, there's a flaw in your logic. I'll look some more...but I haven't found it yet.

BTW - I do not have a local Ferrari dealer.

Check these links on Tensile Strength ... then tell me how wrong the authors and engineers are, and how a $1.29 Czech Republic piece of rubber has superior design and durability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

http://pslc.ws/macrog/mech.htm

http://www.juliantrubin.com/encyclopedia/engineering
/tensile_strength.html

Don't get the wrong idea: We appreciate your input, your ideas and even, potentially, your jacking pucks. I'm sure they are well made, durable, and do a very good job. But cost IS a factor here. Hockey pucks ARE pretty durable and while I suppose one could possibly fail, I don't see that happening in a catastrophic fashion. They're not brittle, they're not going to fail in a sudden, explosive kind of way. They, I imagine, just kind of slowly wear out and might, I suppose, even crack at some point. Big deal---you go get another. BTW, I have no agenda here either. I use neither your product nor a hockey puck. Check it out below---might even be cheaper than a hockey puck, and works great :D

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...IMG_3029-1.jpg

JFP in PA 09-04-2010 05:20 AM

Well Mr. Steven Long (yes, I know who you are, you drive a Corvette, have a thing for Mercedes, and a real hard-on about Disney Cruises. Am I “getting warm yet?”). while you are correct to expect a certain level of decorum
on this or any site, let’s examine what you are really doing on this website, and why I take exception to it: You are attempting to conduct a freebee viral marketing campaign for your business…….. You have been posting similar threads to this one on other enthusiast sites (Corvette, Camaro, etc., etc.); always with “a few extra pucks” left over, but you just happen to have pre-set pricing, pre-determined shipping cost and PayPal set up………… You are trying to make a buck, which is just fine, but there are accepted protocols for how this done, and you are attempting to circumvent them.

If you want to advertise, it’s time to man-up, pay the site holder like other advertisers, and then advertise away; but don’t think for a moment that everyone out here doesn’t recognize what you are trying to do………..

Oh, and you do have a local Ferrari dealer, Algar Ferrari and Maserati over on Lancaster Avenue…………

Lil bastard 09-05-2010 10:52 PM

First of all, tensile strength is irrelevant since the material is not being not being pulled or elongated, but compressed.

While Delrin has about 5 times greater tensile strength than rubber, tensile strength testing of rubber is rarely done.

Rubber has better compressibility and elasticity than Delrin and is the more desireable quality to have.

In addition, Delrin has an inherent lack of adhesiveness, that is, it is slippery. That is the last quality you want to have in a pad supporting your car.

I wouldn't tell people what to do. What I am saying is that I would never get under a car which was supported with slippery pads, nor would I even raise my car with them, nor would I recommend them to anyone.

And, I agree with JFP, you are trying to hock your wares while circumventing the proper procedure for merchants. For you to slither in here and try to lambaste a well respected fellow member with your all of 5 posts is bad form indeed!

Topless 09-06-2010 09:18 AM

Hmmmm,

Interesting idea but I gotta go with the tried and true hockey puck. :)