Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #1

WTB: Airbag Deactivation bar & baby seat

Hi,

I want to be able to enjoy my 2001 Boxster this summer with my son, who is currently 7 months old and about 17lbs. To do this, I know that I need the Airbag Deactivation bar kit; I'm not completely clear on whether I need a Porsche baby seat or can use any child seat.

One of the issues with the Porsche seats are that (according to my dealer) they are not Transport Canada certified and therefore are not legal in Canada. However, I may be willing to risk this if this is the only safe solution!

If I do buy the Porsche seat, I would like to buy the stage 2 model that starts at 20lbs.

Please PM me if you have a kit to sell me!

Regards,
Ayan

2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic - Lapis Blue Metallic (gone)
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

I've got a set available... PM if interested....

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The reason you have to get a Porsche seat is because they have a buckle that snaps into a seat belt receptacle located on the airbag deactivation bar that you will have installed under your passenger seat. Other branded car seats do not have this buckle underneath their car seats. Once you do get any of the three Porsche infant/toddler seats, you can just cut off the special belt buckle that inserts into the deactivation bar below the pass. seat, and then you can use any brand booster seat you want pretty much. For example, if you find a Porsche baby seat but want a toddler seat, buy it anyway. Why? Because once you get the Porsche seat, you can cut the special buckle from the seat and then use it to insert in the deactivation bar. The buckle doesn't need to be attached to the baby seat; it is just inserted to the deactivation bar to act as a switch to let the car know that a baby seat is in the car. Thus, you can then buy any other branded toddler seat, and then just insert the buckle into the bar, and it will still work.

However, after you install the bar, you will also have to get the deactivation bar programed either at the dealer or find someone who has a PWIS or PST2 Porsche computer who can do it for you. Don't assume that once you have the seat and the deactivation bar in place, you are done. The car still has to be programmed to recognize the deactivation bar is installed so that when the buckle is inserted, the car will deactivate the passenger side airbag. Once you have the bar programmed, when you plug the buckle into the deactivation bar and start the engine, the airbag light will blink for a few seconds, and then go out on it's own. That's when you know you have the bar programmed correctly to turn off the airbag when the seat is in use.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

Don't really need a Porsche child seat...

I found a bar on ebay and had the dealer install and activate it. I have a 6 year old son and he does not require a child seat but is still too small for the force of the air bag. So I did a lot of research and found a forum post that said all you have to do is after the bar is activated just find something thin that will fit into the seat belt plug (I am using a very thin long allen wrench) and push down till you hear it click and it will lock in place just like if you plugged in a child seat. All you have to do to unlock it for adult passengers is hit the red button on the seat belt plug and unlock it. It works perfectly, my air bag light blinks for a few seconds to let me know it is not activated when I start the car.

John
isiteweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #5

944 Buckle

I bought the Porsche seat on Ebay and my son is working on modifiing some 944 buckles to fit the bar so I can use any car seat. This seat is for bigger kids and my grandson is to small for it now. I didn't want to cut off the buckle so he is using it as a pattern to grind the other buckles.The buckle has a slot cut out and it is about the same size as the 944 buckles.
Rickw1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickw1313
I bought the Porsche seat on Ebay and my son is working on modifiing some 944 buckles to fit the bar so I can use any car seat. This seat is for bigger kids and my grandson is to small for it now. I didn't want to cut off the buckle so he is using it as a pattern to grind the other buckles.The buckle has a slot cut out and it is about the same size as the 944 buckles.
Did you ever get these buckles made? I'm trying to get my hands on one.

Also, if you haven't, I heard you can use a slightly modified 944 buckler.

Cheers.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

buckle

No, I never had any buckles make, I did not need to since I do not need a child seat for my son, I just needed a way to deactivate the airbag. sorry I can't help.

John

isiteweb is offline   Reply With Quote