Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #1

wanted: convertible tip

The plastic rear window on my 2001 Boxster S went the other day. I am looking for the most cost effective repair. If anyone has a used top that they want to sell or can point me in the direction of the best fix for this. I have seen replacement tops selling for anywhere from $550 to $1100 and have seen labor estimates of 9 hours which would imply about another $850 or so in labor.

pgvinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #2

I have a used top, frame and top tramsmissions. It is off of a 1999. All in good shape, but the real value is the frame. I'd be happy to make a deal for this top, but you might be better off putting new canvas on your existing frame, unless it is damaged. Let me know if you are interested. By the way my top is black.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #3

Convertible Top

Hey, not sure if you are going to install the top yourself or not, but you can get just the canvas top with clear plastic windows for $289 shipped from German Tops out in California. I probably committed a good 8 to 10 hours to do the install myself but it turned out really nice...I couldn't of been more happy with a professional doing it for me.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #4

New Canvas

Picture is my new canvas installed
Old 12-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #5

sweet ride. was the top install difficult or just time consuming.
986chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #6

A link to a DIY guide on replacing a top

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy will give you an idea how complex a job it is.

Also there are places that can sew in a rear window for your existing top. They tend to be places that specialize in boat canvas. Some areas have such shops, some don't. Ask around your local Porsche repair shops to see if they know of one they would trust.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #7

Top Install

The top is not too hard to install, I did it in one shot without having to redo it. It is time consuming though and you need to be a bit patient. The hardest part for me was at the end, when you need to attach the sides and the front of the canvas top to the car.