Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #1

Wanted: used Boxster S struts

I am looking for a used set of struts that I can have converted to koni inserts. I need something that will fit my 2002 Boxster S and it must be for the M030 suspension. PM me or E-mail to dmunsey4@cox.net.

djmunsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #2

I believe I still have a set, let me double check today, and I'll get back to you.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
I believe I still have a set, let me double check today, and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for checking . Let me know if you have them and how much you would want for them.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmunsey
Thanks for checking . Let me know if you have them and how much you would want for them.
Koni doesn't make inserts for the Boxster - where have you found a set? Custom?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

I have a full set for all four corners shocks and springs off of a 01 Boxster S with 30K miles. i will sell @130 Plus you pay cost of shipping. This is off of David_J Boxster S on this board. He went to JIC then traded the car for a 993TT. PM me if interested.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

used struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Koni doesn't make inserts for the Boxster - where have you found a set? Custom?

truechoicekoniracingservices.com. I saw True Choice ad in the back of Sports Car magazine and I E-mailed and asked if they could help me out with some stock class legal koni's. Phil who runs the show said he would install Koni inserts in my Porsche struts for $325 each. I was hoping to find someone with some worn out struts cheap so I could have them modified instead of pulling the ones off my car and sending them to him.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
truechoicekoniracingservices.com. I saw True Choice ad in the back of Sports Car magazine and I E-mailed and asked if they could help me out with some stock class legal koni's. Phil who runs the show said he would install Koni inserts in my Porsche struts for $325 each. I was hoping to find someone with some worn out struts cheap so I could have them modified instead of pulling the ones off my car and sending them to him.
I kind of wondered about that and had been meaning to call True Choice but never got around to it. If it helps you get a better deal, I'll go in with you on a couple sets. Though I'd rather do the install myself rather than sending my struts out to him.

I have my stock struts from when I converted to M030 but I am planning to hang onto them.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
I kind of wondered about that and had been meaning to call True Choice but never got around to it. If it helps you get a better deal, I'll go in with you on a couple sets. Though I'd rather do the install myself rather than sending my struts out to him.

I have my stock struts from when I converted to M030 but I am planning to hang onto them.
I don't know if doing more than 1 set would bring down the price or not. I could ask him. Does it matter if I have him convert the stock struts or the M030 struts? I was under the impression that I would have to convert the M030 struts so they would work correctly with the M030 springs. Am I wrong about that? Maybe since they are being converted to Koni's it won't matter? I have no issues with having him do it since he is expert at that type of thing. I may have to just pull the ones out of the car and send them to him. I think he said he could do it in a week or less.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #9

Quote:
I don't know if doing more than 1 set would bring down the price or not. I could ask him. Does it matter if I have him convert the stock struts or the M030 struts? I was under the impression that I would have to convert the M030 struts so they would work correctly with the M030 springs. Am I wrong about that? Maybe since they are being converted to Koni's it won't matter? I have no issues with having him do it since he is expert at that type of thing. I may have to just pull the ones out of the car and send them to him. I think he said he could do it in a week or less.
M030 and standard struts are identical in terms of outside dimensions, the only difference is the internal valving. So no, it doesn't matter for a cut and gut Koni install. Stock struts will work fine.

John
Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #10

RE: Boxster S struts

Quote:
M030 and standard struts are identical in terms of outside dimensions, the only difference is the internal valving. So no, it doesn't matter for a cut and gut Koni install. Stock struts will work fine.

John
Thanks for the info John. Turns out it takes 2 to 3 weeks for him to convert the struts. I am sure he is busy with work and he is racing weekends too. He doesn't seem too agreeable to doing them any cheaper even if he does more than 1 set. I guess I will get on with it and hope I don't end up thinking the stock M030 shocks were better than the Koni's. I pulled that GT3 front sway bar off after a full year with it on. Immediately the slaloms felt 1000% better but it does one leg it more without the GT3 bar.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #11

RE: Boxster S struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
I have a full set for all four corners shocks and springs off of a 01 Boxster S with 30K miles. i will sell @130 Plus you pay cost of shipping. This is off of David_J Boxster S on this board. He went to JIC then traded the car for a 993TT. PM me if interested.

Do you still want to sell them?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the info John. Turns out it takes 2 to 3 weeks for him to convert the struts. I am sure he is busy with work and he is racing weekends too. He doesn't seem too agreeable to doing them any cheaper even if he does more than 1 set. I guess I will get on with it and hope I don't end up thinking the stock M030 shocks were better than the Koni's. I pulled that GT3 front sway bar off after a full year with it on. Immediately the slaloms felt 1000% better but it does one leg it more without the GT3 bar.
Make sure he knows the weight of your car, what tire sizes you run, and tell him that you only autocross the car, no road racing. You should be all set. Are you getting doubles or singles?

If you can send me the specs when you're done (i.e. what inserts they used) that would be extremely helpful. Good luck.

John
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #13

325 each seems expensive unless you are doing DA's. I converted my old WRX struts myself. Unless he is also going to revalve them for you.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #14

Angry Boxster S struts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
325 each seems expensive unless you are doing DA's. I converted my old WRX struts myself. Unless he is also going to revalve them for you.

It is more expensive than say a set of Koni shocks for an S2000 but relatively cheap for custom made shocks. I wouldn't know where to begin in converting them myself and don't want to convert them myself so what other choice do I have? What I need is to find a used set of struts. I don't understand people who post saying they have them and then never post again or answer PM's sent to them. Makes me wonder what kind of people frequent this forum.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #15

I have a set of standard front struts that were replaced this spring. They are from a standard boxster, but as stated, other than valving, all of the struts for the 986 are identical. Let me know what they are worth to you and I'm sure we can work something out.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
It is more expensive than say a set of Koni shocks for an S2000 but relatively cheap for custom made shocks. I wouldn't know where to begin in converting them myself and don't want to convert them myself so what other choice do I have? What I need is to find a used set of struts. I don't understand people who post saying they have them and then never post again or answer PM's sent to them. Makes me wonder what kind of people frequent this forum.
Sorry I can't help you with finding a set of struts. But as far as SA's versus DA's go, any SA Koni can be modified to be a DA. If you want truechoice to do that for you I'm sure they would be happy to.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #17

i have a set of front bilstein HD and rear stockers that will be coming off my car in a week or so. PM me if you want either.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #18

Quote:

Yep and I can ship them this week. If you want the stock springs you can have those also. PM me!

Josh

Old 08-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:

Yep and I can ship them this week. If you want the stock springs you can have those also. PM me!

Josh

Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis

Josh
Okay, I have PM'd you and I do want them. Can you E-mail me at
dmunsey4@cox.net to discuss details? I have enclosed my address in the PM and other contact information but not sure these PM's all get where they are supposed to.