Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

Karl Ludvigsen Porsche: Excellence was Expected 3 book set used $160.00 delivered

I have a used set of these for $160.00 delivered. Great books on Porsche history if you like to read. My set was read and is well used. Books have some shelf and storage wear and are a little dusty and dirty. One dustcover has a hole in it. The slipcase is worn. Books themselves are in pretty good shape, no tears, no missing pages, no writing, no bent pages, no loose bindings, etc. Not a "collector quality", but not abused either, just honest wear from being read and being in a dusty storage shed for awhile. From the manufacturer, these would cost you $259.95 plus shipping. see manufacter's site here Bentley Publishers I am offering my set at $160 and that includes shipping in the Continental US, all other locations will have additional shipping added. If you are local to Dallas, TX, you can pick these up in person and pay $150.00. I accept paypal or cash in person.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks and here is a description from the publisher's website:

Porsche: Excellence Was Expected includes augmented and edited versions of the 32 chapters from the 1977 book, as well as an additional 29 chapters that cover Porsche's history through 2002. This three-volume, 1,500-page set contains all the photos and artwork from the original version, enhanced by over 700 new black and white photos and 50 new color drawings of Porsche production and racing cars which were commissioned specifically for this updated edition.

Author Karl Ludvigsen has outdone himself in presenting the inner workings, masterpieces and failures of an independent automaker that has exerted a disproportionately powerful influence on the automotive industry. If the first edition of Excellence Was Expected was "the definitive archetypal marque history," (Michael Scarlett, Autocar) this revision and update is much more so. Ludvigsen's readers are sure to agree that the author's masterwork—like Porsche—is fighting fit for the Twenty-first Century.

Road & Track
"As a reference source and as a historical treatise, Ludvigsen's latest effort is the definitive work dealing with one of the greatest automotive marques in the world. And a "must have" for all who are fascinated by fast cars and the men who build (and race) them."—Joe Rusz, Road & Track

European Car:
"There have been hundreds of articles and books in print that deal with many of the same things found in volumes two and three of the new "Excellence...," but his work opened the gates for others. Ludvigsen was the one who threw the party first, and we were the lucky guests. Still, a proper review of this massive release truly requires three or four devoted pages, and that simply isn't possible. For me to discuss the new "Excellence" in a few hundred words seems criminal. My suggestion: If you can only get one book for your library on Porsche, this is the one. If you already have the original as part of your ongoing collection of titles dealing with all aspects of Porsche, you are in good shape."—European Car

Automobile:
"When Karl Ludvigsen's first edition of Porsche: Excellence Was Expected was released in 1977, it was hailed as "the definitive authority of Porsche cars." Freshly updated, the new edition is now a three-volume set that completes the story of every Porsche road and racing car through the development of the Carrera GT. A must-have for anyone with a Seinfeldesque level of Porschephilia"—Automobile

Excellence:
"When the box arrived at our doorstep, however, it was obvious what the money buys: a bulk of information on Porsche that you simply won't find anywhere else. As with the previous version, it's the only book to have on the sports cars from Stuttgart if you'll only have one. The three volumes conveniently divide the history, while a comprehensive index at the end of the final book makes research easy."—Pete Stout, Excellence

Christophorus:
"The English-language reprint builds consistently on the standard reference work on Porsche first published in 1977. Since the first edition, "Ludvigsen" has become a watchword, a trademark for comprehensive information about the sports car manufacturer from Zuffenhausen. The new version of the "Porsche Bible" contains everything from the first edition and much more: Facts and shop-talk, stories and history, anecdotes and quirks, data and statistics on Porsche, the company and its cars. Now, the thick 900-page first edition has become a three-volume linen-bound, slipcase-boxed set of truly biblical dimensions—with a total of 1574 pages."—Christophorus

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #2

MODS: I just realized I posted this in General Discussion instead of in Classifieds. Can you please move it to Classifieds for me?

Thanks,

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote