Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

subwoofer help

i am new to the forum, but so far its great help.Anyone knows where i can install a ten inch sub inside the car? now i have it in the front hood and it sucks

bonvita1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Sub

What type of sub were you looking to use? There have been a few people who have tried installing 1 sub behind each seat. Some have said there is enough room and some have said that there isn't enough leg room.

I think that it its possible if you design it properly and use the right sub. The poular subs so far have been the Earthquake SWS shallow mounts and the Pioneer shallow mounts.

I am thinking about trying these shortly:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=106

The ED designs are very economical and have had rave reviews. At $70 each its no big deal if they don't work. The specs indicate a pretty small box and should work anywehre from .3-.45 cubic foot.

Send me an email and I can email you some pics of boxes behind seats that I have accumulated.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

I put a sealed box (original intended for the back seat of a jeep) with 2 10" jl audio's in the rear trunk. Hitting them with 300w RMS. All the car audio stores said I would never hear it.. They all wanted to build a custom shallow box between the 2 seats.....Jokes on them....It sounds great! better than I thought it ever would... now on the freeway doing 80 with the top down it doesn't hit as hard as I would like.....but come on what would? Around town and with the top up it is amazing. I did drill 7-8 1/4" holes in the rear wall of the trunk that come out just behind the convertible top to let some more sound through but I don't really think it was nessesary. That bass punches right through.

It takes up almost my entire rear trunk but, I am a must have bass kind of guy, so the sacrifice is worth it to me........beter than filling up the footwell so people cant stretch there legs out and are cramped. plus everthing is hidden and passers by don't want to jack my stuff.

I put in clarion seperates in the front doors and dash, rear speaker kit....all the Amps and cross-overs and a great big capaciter so the headlights don't dim when the bass hits, is mounted in the front trunk......The way I have them mounted they really don't take up much room so i still have use of the trunk.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #4

Any pictures? you are the only boxtser only that I have heard of that has subs in the rear trunk. Are these JL 10W1s or 10W0's that you are using?

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
AVIC D3
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels

To do/complete:
Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
Any pictures? you are the only boxtser only that I have heard of that has subs in the rear trunk. Are these JL 10W1s or 10W0's that you are using?
No i have it in the front and they are alpine sws 10'
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #6

Sorry I was referring to boxster 7614 in regards to the JL's.

Alpine doesn't make SWS subs. Earthquake makes the SWS's. Do you have a port of any sort going through the front firewall to the inside cabin? I have seen others do that and it would certainly improve the bass response although I myself would not opt to cut a whole in my firewall.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
AVIC D3
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels

To do/complete:
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614
I put a sealed box (original intended for the back seat of a jeep) with 2 10" jl audio's in the rear trunk. Hitting them with 300w RMS. All the car audio stores said I would never hear it.. They all wanted to build a custom shallow box between the 2 seats.....Jokes on them....It sounds great! better than I thought it ever would... now on the freeway doing 80 with the top down it doesn't hit as hard as I would like.....but come on what would? Around town and with the top up it is amazing. I did drill 7-8 1/4" holes in the rear wall of the trunk that come out just behind the convertible top to let some more sound through but I don't really think it was nessesary. That bass punches right through.

It takes up almost my entire rear trunk but, I am a must have bass kind of guy, so the sacrifice is worth it to me........beter than filling up the footwell so people cant stretch there legs out and are cramped. plus everthing is hidden and passers by don't want to jack my stuff.

I put in clarion seperates in the front doors and dash, rear speaker kit....all the Amps and cross-overs and a great big capaciter so the headlights don't dim when the bass hits, is mounted in the front trunk......The way I have them mounted they really don't take up much room so i still have use of the trunk.
do you have any pics?right now,i am thinking of taking out the 10 inch sub i have in the front completly and installing an 8 inch in the footwell area.what do you think? tks

Last edited by bonvita1973; 02-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:

Alpine doesn't make SWS subs. Earthquake makes the SWS's. Do you have a port of any sort going through the front firewall to the inside cabin? I have seen others do that and it would certainly improve the bass response although I myself would not opt to cut a whole in my firewall.
There is an Alpine SWS 1043D that i bought on ebay and that's what i have, wont want to cut my firewall either.thanks you
Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:

There is an Alpine SWS 1043D that i bought on ebay and that's what i have, wont want to cut my firewall either.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #10

My apologies. I guess Alpine does have an SWS. Send me your email and i'll post send pics. In fact i'll try to post pics in the forum so that everyone can see and contribute.

I personally don't like the footwell idea. You will lose legroom for sure. I am pretty optimistic about my idea behind the seats. If done right it can work. One of our members bought a set that was professionally done but still thought the seat had to be moved too far up. I will fiberglass my setup and try to squeeze the subs as low as possible where there is the most room behind the seats. 4 total inches should be just good enough. Those ED subs require 3.5 inches.

Not sure about the new JL shallow subs yet, but those might be even more shallow although they will be more costly.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
AVIC D3
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels

To do/complete:
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #11

I am using Jl audios 10W0's They put out alot of sound for lower wattage. I think I paid $89 for each and $100 for the box. This was almost 4 years ago. I don't think they make the W0's anymore.

I am sure I'm not the only one to do this but if so you can name this mod after me if you like.

Every one told me that putting the subs in the rear trunk would never work and I would never hear it, but I did it as trial and error. They ended up sounding great! and I am very picky when it comes to sound!!!!!!! My entire home theater had to be THX certified.

I did have to Dynomat the entire inside of the trunk and lid so it didn't sound like a bag of rattling tin cans going down the road. You can spend all you want on equipment, but if you don't stop the rattles it's worthless.

This is definitly the route to go if you want real bass......you just have to sacrifice the trunk space to do it. I don't like the idea of putting it in the foot well and my seats are all the way back as far as they can go right now. Like I said before I also like every thing hidden to cut down on theift.

I went with a sealed box because it requires less airspace and it's a tighter cleaner sound........although I did contemplate building a custom band pass box and route the port through the trunk wall. But if you don't do all your calculations right a bandpass will sound like crap....they are also very boomy and have a narow range.

Make sure you put in a great big stiffening capacitor so you don't strain the electrical system and so your headlights don't dim to the beat of the music.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I can

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote