Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #1

WTB: Hardtop

Preferably Lapis Blue, but I'll consider anything.

Thanks!
Sam

iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
Preferably Lapis Blue, but I'll consider anything.

Thanks!
Sam

There is a black hardtop for sale over on www.babblers.org:

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=44803
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #3

What about a aftermerket fiberglass hard top heady to paint? It will be certaily much lighter and easier to remove yourself. Try this web site. They are only $1049.00 with the rear glass window wired for defrost.
http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Hardtop
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #4

Ummm...WOW!!! I wasn't really in the market for a hardtop for the car, but w/prices like this...why not? Seriously...Why not? Is there any downside to these, b/c I'm about to jump right in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
What about a aftermerket fiberglass hard top heady to paint? It will be certaily much lighter and easier to remove yourself. Try this web site. They are only $1049.00 with the rear glass window wired for defrost.
http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Hardtop

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
Ummm...WOW!!! I wasn't really in the market for a hardtop for the car, but w/prices like this...why not? Seriously...Why not? Is there any downside to these, b/c I'm about to jump right in!!
I've oreder stuff from this company before. All of their stuff is well made and they have great prices. You just need to have it painted.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #6

wow! that's great price for hard top. must to get item before the winter. i might not even paint them since i know i'll end up scratching paints from putting them on and off. thanks for the info!!!
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #7

Be wary of gtmotorsports products. I have their humps and side skirts. Build quality is so-so I wouldn't buy anything else from them. Their customer service sucks too.

Took three sets of humps to get a pair that a) fit fairly well and b) were in good enough shape to paint. The side skirts are poorly made all the way around, and were not formed well enough to remain "stuck" to the side of the car, even after 2 careful applications.

The top is supposed to be gel-coated. The first two sets of humps I returned were gel coated and poorly coated at that, leaving ripples in the gel that could not be sanded smooth. Once it's gel coated, your only option is bondo.

Proceed with caution.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Be wary of gtmotorsports products. I have their humps and side skirts. Build quality is so-so I wouldn't buy anything else from them. Their customer service sucks too.

Took three sets of humps to get a pair that a) fit fairly well and b) were in good enough shape to paint. The side skirts are poorly made all the way around, and were not formed well enough to remain "stuck" to the side of the car, even after 2 careful applications.

The top is supposed to be gel-coated. The first two sets of humps I returned were gel coated and poorly coated at that, leaving ripples in the gel that could not be sanded smooth. Once it's gel coated, your only option is bondo.

Proceed with caution.
Wow, I did not have problems with my side skirts. But that's the only thing I ordered from them.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #9

Sam,
I have a hardtop in black metallic for a 986 that includes a OEM stand (that's an extra $150.00 or so accessory) that I would sell them both for $1500.00 firm, I'll even through in an OEM cover if I can find it. I won't ship but I see that you are in Albuquergue New Mexico, I live jus south of Dallas, TX and if you want it, I would meet you halfway, total trip is 670 miles or so according to Yahoo maps, I'd go 335 miles and you could go 335 miles. I'd just charge you an extra $75.00 for two tanks of gas. If you'd like to see pictures of the top, email me at navarro@flash.net You'd need to have the spinlock receptacles on your car if you don't already have them. Payment could be cash in person, but I'd like to receive at least $250.00 deposit via Paypal. Let me know. Thanks and take care,

TOP IS NO LONGER ON THE MARKET, I FINALLY GOT A REASONABLE QUOTE FOR A PAINTJOB TO MAKE IT SEAL GREY SO ITS OFF THE MARKET AND WILL BE GOING BACK ON MY CAR. THANKS FOR THE ONES THAT EXPRESSED INTEREST.

Mike Navarro
navarro@flash.net

Last edited by thenavarro; 08-09-2007 at 07:47 PM.
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #10

I contacted GT Motorsport and they no longer make the hard top, but Larry offered to help me find something else. This is a direct quote from his e-mail, I'm not making this up!

"1. OEM top - in seal gray - $3,000.

2. One of our repro tops – fiberglass – no glass, no weather stripping or hardware (top only) - $799.

1. Your Porsche dealership has them for around $7,000."

When I asked how many parts were required to get the $799 stripped fiberglass hardtop ready to go on the car (using lexan windows) he replied:

"Sam…

Here’s the best deal for you, if you buy through us… Buy the OEM top we have for $3,000. It comes with everything. If you buy just the repro top from us you’ll still need to spend about $2,500 on stuff before you can install it. Check with your dealership to confirm that estimate. Then, if you’re interested get back to me.

Cheers.

Larry"

I replied that a brand new [Lapis Blue] hardtop is $2700 from Sunset Porsche so he stopped writing to me.

Last edited by iflyadesk; 08-10-2007 at 07:08 AM.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
I contacted GT Motorsport and they no longer make the hard top, but Larry offered to help me find something else. This is a direct quote from his e-mail, I'm not making this up!

"1. OEM top - in seal gray - $3,000.

2. One of our repro tops – fiberglass – no glass, no weather stripping or hardware (top only) - $799.

1. Your Porsche dealership has them for around $7,000."

When I asked how many parts were required to get the $799 stripped fiberglass hardtop ready to go on the car (using lexan windows) he replied:

"Sam…

Here’s the best deal for you, if you buy through us… Buy the OEM top we have for $3,000. It comes with everything. If you buy just the repro top from us you’ll still need to spend about $2,500 on stuff before you can install it. Check with your dealership to confirm that estimate. Then, if you’re interested get back to me.

Cheers.

Larry"

I replied that a brand new [Lapis Blue] hardtop is $2700 from Sunset Porsche so he stopped writing to me.
I'm confused, they said they no longer make the hardtop, but offer an O.E.M. one for $3000 and the stripped down version still for $799??? What happened to the one for $1049? It's the same as the $799 one, only it comes with the weather stripping and window. I think the "O.E.M." one IS the $3000 one after you add the Seal Gray paint job they are charging you for. I could deffinately buy the fiberglass one that they sell with the heated rear window that cost $1049 primered and go some place else to have it painted.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #12

Latest e-mail....

I got this message from GT-Motorsport:

Eric…

Tack for det forfragen (Swedish for Thanks for the inquiry).

1. No. Right now we don’t make the 2 versions. We were losing money because they are difficult and time consuming to make. However, because of demand and because we want to support 986 owners, we are working on the process and should be re-introducing them in about 5 months… So, keep your eye on our website.

2. I have 2 available. One is an OEM, aluminum, seal gray top for $3,000. (no, it is not one of ours with paint). The other is one of our reproduction, fiberglass tops… Top only. No seals, glass, or hardware. For $799.

I think that answers all of your questions.

Watch for our new site coming soon. Stage one (re-designed/branded) in about 2 more weeks. Stage two (e-comm, with shopping cart, so you can you online) in about a month. And stage three (where we’re introducing a HUGE new product line… 911SCs and 911 Carreras backdated to gorgeous ’73 911RS clones for only $28,900. (includes car and upgrades. Turn-key). And clean, inspected Boxsters with all of our products already installed) in about two months.

Spread the word!

Cheers.

Larry

Larry Bevins
President
GT Motorsport USA

Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #13

I had some very odd phone conversations with the owner of GT Motorsport. He's a bit disorganized, both business-wise and mentally. Nice enough fellow, but just didn't really understand how business works.

I say steer clear of the company altogether and find other sources for humps, tops, side skirts, replacement windshields, etc.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #14

I agree Randall. I ran across that site in looking for a top. As you said, nice enough guy but just got the feeling something wasn't right. I became very worried about the quality of the top.