View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camibox View Post
I'm sure this is the wrong place but in need of some help. My sister in Houston's husband died a few years ago. He had a 06 911 Carrera S. Since the car has sat for the last at least 5 years the battery was dead among other things. Can anyone in the Houston (Spring) Texas area give her a hand getting the frunk open and changing the oil. Taking it anywhere is not an option. She is almost out of cash until the house and/or car sell. Thanks
First, sorry for your and your sister's loss.

I'm not familiar with 991s, but the Boxsters have two options for opening the frunk in the event of a dead battery. One is to pull the little tab with a battery icon that's located at the fuse box. It's a terminal to which you can attach the positive side of a jump box and you connect the negative to a good ground like an unpainted bolt head. Once you connect a jump box, you should have enough juice to turn the key on and hit the release button. If that fails the other option is to locate the emergency release cable. If it hasn't been moved to the tow hook, it's located behind the passenger headlight. It is a stainless steel wire that looks like a bicycle brake cable. It has a hoop on the end. You pull HARD on it and it will release the frunk latch. First look behind the tow hook cover, in the event someone moved it there. If it's not there, the easiest way to access it is to remove the front passenger tire and peel back the fender liner. You may or may not be able to see it, but you should find it if you feel around behind the headlight.

Again, this is how BOXSTERS are, I'm not sure about 911s.

The oil change is quite straight forward, if you've changed oil on other cars you can do this. The major difference is that you'll drain it at 2 locations; The oil sump and the oil tank. Also, it'll take about 12 quarts, so be prepared with enough oil and with a large enough container to collect the old oil.

Here are some links that may help:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/01-Jacking_Up/01-Jacking_Up.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/02-Oil_Change/02-Oil_Change.htm

Best of luck.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-26-2019 at 03:08 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote