View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #14
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexial View Post
I don't see anything about brake fluid or spark plugs in the 40k service items list. Looks like I'm overpaying for the service. Oh well... live and learn. Thanks for your reply.
When I look at these maintenance lists in owners manuals there is always a lot of "inspecting." Things like latches, hinges, handbrake function, lights, air pressure, etc are easy enough. But if you don't have a lift, checking wheel bearings, CV joints and boots, brake pad thickness, brake rotors, plugs and coilpacks is a pain. And if you don't have a good scanner, checking for codes is another thing you can't do. If you just got this car and don't know the service history, a good overall inspection of the car is in order, to know what needs to be done and to have peace of mind. Since the car is now 14 years old, the 40,000 mile service list is one thing but there are things to look at just due to age and not mileage. The labor rate at my independent shop in NJ is now $125/hour, but they do great work and I trust them. You should find a good local independent shop and once you're comfortable with them, stick with them for anything you can't or don't want to do yourself.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote