View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
boxsterS2001

Burnt the clutch of my Boxster S 2001, mechanic quoted $3000

Hi,

Thank you for your attention. I got a Boxster S 2001 convertible with 48k miles last October. It is my first car, I absolutely love it and I'm still learning about this wonderful machine.

I've driven it to 55k miles since. My clutch started slipping two weeks ago and I was planning to get it replaced but couldn't do so due to a fire at work on the weekend. I ended up driving the car to a conference in San Francisco and the clutch stuck leaving us stranded on an offramp of the freeway. I tried to start it again so as to get to the side lane but then I saw smoke coming from the car and smell of burning rubber and I immediately stopped. Called the California Highway Patrol at once. I didn't know whether my insurance had towing so we called my colleagues insurance who was riding with me. The towing company said they would get there in 2.5 hours. The towing from San Francisco to Redwood city was going to be an extra 40 bucks. While we waited for the towing truck to show CHP showed up. Before that the CHP helped push the car from the second to the left lane to the right most lane of the freeway. They were very helpful. Since the tow truck was 2 hours away the officer suggested we call AAA expedite service as it was dangerous. She put half a dozen flares at the back of the car and left. The tow truck showed up in 20 minutes and without asking got the car ready to be towed and asked for an address. I gave them the address and they asked for $430, $250 for the call the officer made and $180 for the two to Redwood city. I decided it would be better to wait as $40 and 2 hours sounded better but the tow man said I'll have to pay $250 anyway because the call was made. He offered to tow to for $400 and I let him. I have the bill. He towed the vehicle to Redwood City and the mechanic in Redwood City got a chance to look at it yesterday. He said that it will take about 10-12 hours which would cost about $1800. The clutch would need to be replaced and also probably the clutch flywheel since it was slipping for a while. He also said that we might need to replace the intermediate shaft bearing of the Porsche. He said the ball park cost would be around $3000.

I've asked the mechanic to start working on it because I don't have another option at the moment and need the car soon.

Wanted to get second opinions from the community about the cost to fix it and the labour charges. Does this look fair?

Also, I checked with my insurance (farmers) and they said that they have towing. Can I get my insurance to pay the $400 for the towing?

Was the tow-man truthful about the $250 that I must pay if the highway patrol gave the call?

What do I need to change about my driving so that the clutch doesn't slip again?

Should I go ahead and get intermediate shaft bearing of the Porsche replaced if the mechanic recommends so?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Forgive me if I made mistakes in seeking help from the community, if there's a question asking guide kindly please point me to it.

Best,
BoxsterS2001
boxsterS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote