Thread: $30K Panamera
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
dghii

Car values are tough these days...

I get caught looking ALL THE TIME at cars that use to cost big bucks and now sell for peanuts.
Just doesn't seem possible to be able to buy even $50-60K cars with lot of life in them for under $10-20K.

Here's my sanity check: Take a look at leasing ANY new car for 3 years. Check the residual value. Cars that are known to 'hold their value' and cars with subsidized leases will be worth 52-54% of MSRP. Cars that don't hold their value will be ~45-48%.

That would put a $100K Panamera at ~$50K after 3 years. Its now 7 years old so $30K doesn't sound like a screaming buy given the above argument.

That being said, all the used cars I look at in the 5-8 year old range seem to be priced at a premium to what they should be worth. I think its a function of more folks being able to spend $20-30K for a car versus $50K plus for something new. Heck, new Ford Explorers with moon roof and leather have MSRP's of $52-55K! When did that happen?? My first house in 1982 was $54K, across the street from the beach! I even had 30 years to pay for it.

3 year Explorers are no bargain, with similarly equipped cars still selling in the $28-32K range.

I know you you're checking prices. If $30K sounds to good to pass up, trust yourself (as always)!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote