View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Rob175

Slack in convertible top

My 98' Boxster suddenly developed a bit of slack in the usual taughtness on the portion of the top when folded back (the exposed portion).

After going to a few different interior shops ( all experienced Porsche top shops) and being told that I needed to replace the top even though in all other respects the top is in beautiful condition I decided to investigate further myself.

I discovered the factory heat welds/adhesive where the top touches the interior supports had come undone. Again all the shops told me there was no fix except to buy a new top, not something I wanted to do.

BUT I came up with a fix. Using Scotch's VHB (very high bond) tape, I ran a strip the length of each support bar between the tops interior side and the metal bars. Then using a hard roller I rolled over the top's exterior where each bar was located. I let the tape "cure" for a week before I lowered the top. Viola!!! It worked and after a year is still doing the job. My top folds nicely and without slack.

Since I only drive in the summer and usually only operate the top a few times a season ( I typically lower the top and leave it down all season if the weather allows)

A cheap fix that worked well for me.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote