View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
KB944

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Any oil mods to your car
You mean like a deep sump kit to help stave off oil starvation? Nope - all stock. I suppose I could have been looking for the oil light more often and might have seen something ahead of time, but even on the straights I was busy talking to my student.

My takeaway from this is that if you have an engine which you know (as I should have) has a potential oil starvation issue, you should really have an oil pressure gauge like the 996, and maybe even an audible alarm. My 914 has a bright green oil pressure warning light that's located where the color green has absolutely no business showing up, so it immediately catches my attention. The fact that a Boxster has a little red light at the bottom of the dash for something so important is as much a design flaw as the oil pickup issue. Anyway, I prefer to think of this as proof that I am simply better at driving fast around the track than Porsche's test drivers.

It is odd I was able to do this on street tires. Is it possible for an IMS bearing failure to cause an oil pressure drop, and make a "Clackity clackity clackity" sound very regularly? Seems more like a connecting rod bearing, to me and to the shop.
KB944 is offline   Reply With Quote